I just loooove a picnic!! When we first graduated from college, we used to go to Pops at the Park every Sunday in June in Charlotte. Matt and I had PB&J and a mini bottle of wine and those around us had elaborate spreads with multiple courses, cheese platters, sheet cakes and 10 bottles of wine. We were so jealous. Eventually we were able to get a few friends to join in on the fun!
I have YET to convince my group of friends (there or here) that we should have a regular pot-luck picnic spread. I guess it’s kind of a lot of work, but it’s SO MUCH FUN! Matt and I hope to picnic night all summer long this year.
The key to a fun picnic is the prepared salad. I often make this the night before or in the morning and then take it out of the fridge when we’re ready to go. Beans, veggies, dressings, cooked whole grains, crumbled cheeses – the mix and match options are endless.
With summertime on the horizon, here are some of my favorite prepared salads to take on a picnic – with a new recipe below!
And here’s a new one for you:
Moroccan Millet + Lentil Salad
- 1 cup of dry brown lentils, cooked according to package (I used my rice cooker)
- 1 cup of dry millet, cooked (again, rice cooker saved the day!)
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1/3 cup golden raisins, hydrated in hot water
- 1/4 cup chopped salted, roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic gold oil or olive oil with a minced garlic clove (cooked a bit if you don’t want bad breath!)
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste – it’s hot)
Once millet and lentils are cooked, mix all together!
Served with a kale salad at Fridays After Five –