Welcome to Kath Eats Real Food aka KERF!
Kath Younger, RD
Photo by Cramer Photo
Why Real Food?
Kath Eats was founded on the idea that the answer to almost all nutrition and diet questions is to eat food in its most simple form, as nature intended. Titled Kath Eats Real Food, or KERF, I believe that focusing on what you should eat matters a lot more than what you shouldn’t. Rather than a diet of deprivation, focus on eating a diverse and colorful array of superfoods rich in nutrients. This is what your body needs and wants. When you are well nourished, cravings and excess weight fade away.
How Did I Start A Blog?
I started blogging in March of 2006 at Calorie King as I set out to lose 30 pounds. A year and a half later, at the request of family and friends, I decided to start a photo blog of my recipes and meals. I began blogging at Blogspot in September 2007, which then moved to WordPress, and finally to my own domain, KathEats.com.
Becoming A Registered Dietitian
After working in public relations for a few years and developing a passion for real food and wellness, I went back to school to become a Registered Dietitian in 2008. I attended Winthrop University where I completed 2 years of coursework and a six-month dietetic internship. Shortly after passing the RD exam I moved to Charlottesville, Virginia.
My Blog Was A Food Diary For Five Years
For five years, I blogged three times a day: breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can see some of my favorite posts on this page. In addition to food, recipes and life recaps, I have pages on oatmeal, blogger events, travel across the world, races, home organization, photography, blogging and groceries. You might see a dude named Matt in the archives! We were married (he’s Mazen’s father) and you can read more about our decision to become friends here.
And Then I Had Kids!
After Mazen was born, I slipped back to blogging once a day, and then in January 2013 I switched my format from diary style to topics with slices of life here and there. I also work for the clean beauty company Beautycounter, and I help clients find skincare solutions and mentor a small team of women. You can subscribe to KERF here – I hope you’ll stick around!
The Digital Clutter Course
In 2021 I launched a course all about organizing your digital clutter: The Digital Clutter Course.
I help busy people organize their digital clutter through a simple system that takes less than one hour each week so they can spend more time doing what they love. In the course, we tackle your email, calendars, tasks, paper, files, digital photos, and money and create a streamlined system to stay on top of it all forever!
Watch my free workshop: “How To Organize Your Digital Clutter With a Simple System Without Spending More Than One Hour Each Week!”
The Topics I Cover
- Nutrition: Read some of my nutrition-focused posts on this page.
- Recipes: Oatmeal, Smoothies, Salads + more.
- Healthy Mindset: Change your habits, change your health.
- Real food: What is Real Food to me?
- Weight: Read my weight loss story here and posts on weight change here.
- Fitness: All about exercise mindset and my weekly fitness routine
- Charlottesville: Check out my Cville page for recaps of local restaurant and activities.
- Motherhood: For all things motherhood, check out my Baby section and my former baby blog, Baby KERF, which I wrote during my pregnancy and until Mazen turned 2.
- Home: I have a series called Home Neat Home all about organizing and decluttering
- Digital Organization: The Digital Clutter Course
- Beauty: See my safer skincare routine and makeup favorites!
- Shop: Favorite products I swear by (like my favorite sippy cups and my Dyson Vacuum I use daily)
- Wedding: All the pics from the most beautiful day in 2017!
I was voted “Best Food Blog” by Foodbuzz in 2009 and “Best Healthy Living Blog” in 2011. My writing and recipes have been published in Oprah’s O Magazine and on Oprah.com, a Weight Watchers cookbook, the Publix Greenwise magazine, Breathe Magazine, Shape, and more. I was even on the cover of Women’s World many years ago! I also represented a supplement brand on Access Hollywood and multiple local news stations.
Check out this Forbes article:
Brands: Work With Me
I have the most loyal, enthusiastic followers on the entire internet (seriously.) What makes me different from other influencers is the trust I have gained through my longevity – many of my readers have been following me for over a decade. And as a Registered Dietitian, my seal of approval on a product is even more valuable.
I partner with a limited number of brands through sponsored posts, social media, dedicated newsletters, giveaways and more. Reach out in the form below to receive a media kit and rates.