Below are the items I use regularly for a clean skincare routine and natural makeup. To read my previous blog posts about Beautycounter, click here. Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter to learn more about the products and so I can keep you posted on any ways to save money. Scroll down to the bottom of the post for a promo code!
If you have any questions or need help selecting a product, fill out this skincare form and I’ll email you back with recommendations!
New customers: get a promo code here!
My Clean Skincare Routine
For years I mixed and matched products and never committed to one line of skincare or makeup.
Thanks to my propensity towards sample sizes, I constantly rotated different products and brands in and out.
I have never actually invested in my skin until now.
I don’t know about you, but I take better care of things that I spend good money on compared to things I purchase that are cheap or are given to me. Before switching to a clean skincare routine, I used to easily justify spending money on a hotel room or pillows for my couch before I would on beauty.
Now in my mid-thirties and the crow’s feet are coming out, I decided I need more than SPF to keep my skin looking youthful.
My Beautycounter clean skincare routine
Morning Skincare Routine
(aka whenever I take my first shower)
I wasn’t sure an oil-based cleanser would make my skin feel clean, but it does! The oil is very lightweight, and it’s also great for taking off makeup. I love the light scent – it reminds me of tea leaves!
This is my favorite product of the entire Countertime collection!
I’ve always had a love for toners and this is seriously the best toner I’ve ever tried. Although it’s not technically a toner – it’s an essence that “lends vital nutrients to the skin’s moisture barrier instantly boosting hydration and radiance.”
It’s just thick enough that when you sprinkle it into your hands, it doesn’t fall through your fingers, making patting it on your face after cleansing easy.
This is where the magic happens. The serum’s goal is to increase skin firmness and elasticity (yes!) while reducing fine lines (yes!) via a powerful blend of peptides, amino acids and the Retinatural heroes.
It goes on so smoothly – almost like a gel – and smells delicious, lightly of flowers.
This is the daytime friend of the fan favorite Overnight Resurfacing Peel, and it’s designed to brighten and even skin tone.
Not only does it work to fade brown spots and hyperpigmentation, but it actually inhibits melanin synthesis to prevent dark spots from appearing.
Vitamin C can degrade quickly in beauty products, and Beautycounter has been working for years to develop this combination of two forms of vitamin C in a super stable formulation that actually delivers results.
The day lotion has a subtle rose scent and goes on smoothly (seeing the theme here?) It brings out skin’s luminosity and layers well under makeup.
This is the start of my makeup routine, but I point it out as the end of skincare because of the SPF! I make sure to put this on my forehead and ears too. I add the Sheer Defense SPF 25 face sunscreen if I know I’m going to be in the sun for longer. It’s quickly absorbed and great under makeup.
Nighttime Skincare Routine
Most of the time I use a wipe rather than the cleansing oil + water, unless I’m taking a nighttime shower or bath. These tear in half really easily, so I use half at a time to double the use. They are best wipes I’ve ever used because they are very wet = very good at cleansing.
Mineral Boost Hydrating Essence – pat it on!
This is my FAVORITE product!!
Every other night I use the Tripeptide Radiance Serum and every other I use the Peel.
I love the Peel’s lemony smell, and it goes on so smoothly. It will tingle for about 5-10 minutes after putting it on which is one of the ways I know it’s actually working.
The peel has 15 acids that resurface your skin without causing irritation. 9 of the 15 acids in the peel are resurfacing acids that work to renew the skin by removing dead skin cells (like breaking down the top layer of the skin) and the other 6 are soothing acids that rehydrate and replenish skin.
Your skin does not actually peel or flake off – the goal is to smooth skin, lift away dark spots, and shrink lines, pores, and scars while leaving skin brighter and glowing.
I skip toner at night because the peel gives the same effect and feeling. I use this 5 nights a week or so. #IfYouOnlyBuyOneThing
While peel sinks in for 3-4 minutes, floss and brush your teeth!
The night cream is like buttah – and glides on. I can still feel it on my face in the morning – a nod to how well hydrated it keeps my skin overnight. If you could only buy one thing, get this!!
In addition to the Retinatural Complex, the eye cream has Persian silk extract to help reduce under eye shadows and minimize crow’s feet. Dab a little under and around your eyes with your ring finger each night.
A little goes a long way, so this will last you a long time.
This oil’s goal is to leave skin bright, radiant and glowing.
I put a few drops into my hand and press it into my skin rather than rub. I use it a few times a week, either not with my other products or after moisturizing. It’s great for winter and dry weather.
This mask smells great and dries nicely onto skin before it’s time to rinse off. I’m trying to use it once a week on Self Care Sunday.
More Skincare posts:
- Review of Countertime
- How To Apply Skincare in the Right Order
- Products for Brighter Skin
- Skincare Solutions by Skin Type
Body + Hair
Shampoo and Conditioner
I’ve tried other “natural” hair care products before and been underwhelmed.
First of all, I really need my shampoo to lather. Second, I prefer not to have a strong herbal scent.
I’m happy to say that the Beautycounter shampoo and conditioner checks both boxes: 1) the shampoo lathers and 2) it smells nice – like sweet lemon!
I use this sparingly on my legs and arms after a shower. A little goes a long way. The scent is nice and clean – not overpowering!
Admittedly I was the queen of spray sunscreens. I KNEW they were full of chemicals that weren’t good for me or the ocean, but I always thought a sun burn would be worse.
The alternative, a lotion, always left my body white as a ghost and my hands greasy, plus it took so much longer to rub in.
The Beautycounter mineral mist is a game changer for sun protection because it delivers a fine mist that 1) you cannot see it and 2) it is not greasy!! While you do still have to rub it in, it’s actually really nice to be able to SEE the sunscreen and know where you have applied it. With the clear sprays you just have to aim and hope you cover your body somehow in that cloud.
Great for kids’ faces and soccer games. Goes on clear! It’s also so small you can keep on in your purse or diaper bag and not feel like you’re lugging around weight.
Beautycounter Before And After
A picture speaks 1,000 words.
After just a few weeks of a clean skincare routine, my skin was brighter, a bit more radiant, and more even. It felt better – softer, hydrated – too.
I saw the biggest difference when I went from zero Beautycounter to Countermatch, but I’ve seen improvements day by day after switching to Countertime too.
After a few weeks:
After half a year:
My Everyday Natural Makeup
While the Beautycounter skincare has been a refreshing change, the makeup has been FUN!
I am so not a makeup diva, and that is exactly why you should take note.
Because anybody can wear these shades and look natural and put together in five minutes without needing uber contouring skills or feeling like you’re going to leave glop behind when you hug and kiss your kids.
- Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer in shade #2. I put this on everyday when I get out of bed. It’s a little moisture, a little coverage, and a little SPF all in one.
- Skin Twin Creamy Concealer in Light 1. I love the doe foot applicator, and the color and coverage is a good match for me.
- Cream Highlighter in Rose Glow. I love the glittery look of a highlighter, and this one is easy to paint on and blend in with my fingertips.
- Lengthening Mascara – I love how delicate the wand is – it will not clump! It feels very light on my lashes, which is exactly what I want for everyday, while giving them a nice pop of color and length. I add the Volumizing on top for nights!
- Eyeliner – Still using up an old one before I switch.
- Sheer Genius Lipstick or Beyond Gloss – I love Rose and Twig Sheer Genius for everyday. These go on like chapstick and have a hint of vanilla essence. I am not a lipstick person because I find I just smudge it all over things (like my kids cheeks!) so this is the perfect sheer look + feel. I love the Amber Shimmer Beyond Gloss – perfect for everyday with a little sparkle. And you’ll always find a Jellie in my purse and car!
And Here’s What I add on when I’m going all out
- Skin Twin Foundation – “Makeup meets skincare.” Skin Twin is breathable, buildable coverage with hyaluronic acid and hydrophobic pigments to plump and smooth the skin. I wear shade #310. It does provide a bit more coverage than the Dew Skin, and it goes on very smoothly. I never worry about looking cakey.
- Volumizing Mascara – I bought both kinds so I could give my take on them. I prefer the Lengthening for everyday, but I like the Volumizing for extra oomph and layer it on top of the Lengthening. The Volumizing brush is thicker – more like a caterpillar – compared to the more comb-like style of the Lengthening.
- Romantic Eyeshadow – Our eyeshadows are getting a makeover to be talc-free by 2022.
- Brow Gel in Light- It has taken me a while to get into brows. But if all the pros say they are important, then they must be! I tried a pencil, which I like, but the Gel is where it’s at. It’s like a little mascara wand for your brows, and I DO think I look more ‘put together’ when I wear it.
- Color Intense Lipstick + Beyond Gloss – My favorite shade of the Color Intense is Backstage! I also have Garden Party (hot pink!) for party nights, Brunch (neutral pink) for day time events, and 9 To 5 (the boldest) for formal events. I like these all with gloss on top!
- Mattifying Powder – This is something I normally would have thought was kind of pointless, but I actually like it so much! I saw a few other people using it and decided to order it with some product credits I earned, and I’m so glad I did! It’s great for summertime and has so many uses: drying a sweaty face, absorbing oil, setting makeup. I use it at the beginning and end of my makeup to prime + set.
- Bronzer in Dune. (I use this sometimes instead of blush.) I recently got this and wow does it really bring out a tan glow! Just a little tiny bit goes a very long way. Perfect for summer!
Bundle and Save: Flawless in Five
If you’re looking to overhaul your makeup, the Flawless in Five set comes with many of the above, and you save 20% off by buying it as a set. You get to pick all of your shades and choose between Dew/Skin Twin Foundation, Lengthening/Volumizing mascara, and Brow Pencil/Gel.
If you’d like any help sorting through the products and creating a clean skincare routine, feel free to drop your email in this little quiz and I will personally email you back!
How To Save Money on Beautycounter
If you’ve been wanting to overhaul your products towards a clean skincare routine and are intimidated by the cost, there are a few ways you can lower the cost.
1. Shop collections
It’s the Beautycounter version of Amazon Prime plus rewards! If you think you’re going to place two $100+ orders in one calendar year, the math makes sense to join because you’ll save more than you spend. The annual cost is $29 and for that you get:
- A free welcome set that includes a discovery size of our Overnight Peel + Charcoal Mask (below)
- Free shipping on orders over $100 (I don’t even get that as a consultant!)
- 10% back in product credit to use on your next order.
Consultants get 25% off all products, which is a killer discount if you’re wild about Beautycounter and using a whole clean skincare routine and makeup.
Plus if you’re using that many products, you’re probably already telling all of your friends. Why not make a side hustle out of it!?
The cost is $50 and your only requirement to maintain consultant level is to buy or sell $1,200 in a six month period. If you don’t reach $1,200, you simply become a Band of Beauty member again.
You don’t have to order a big starter kit, maintain any inventory, or recruit a single person if you don’t want to. Of course if you want to earn money, make it a part or full time business, and/or recruit team members, you absolutely can. You will get out what you put in.
If this interests you at ALL, fill out this form and I’ll get back to ya soon!
More Clean Skincare Resources:
- Subscribe to My Beautycounter Newsletter
- Instagram Story Beautycounter Videos
- Get personalized recommendations on products and shades