These two Beautycounter products for brighter skin have changed my skin for the better (er, brighter!) Get a promo code on your first order at the bottom of the post!
The Glow Skin Duo
While I’ve had a solid skincare routine since switching to Beautycounter 12+ months ago, there are a couple of products that have risen above all others as my favorites. I like to call them the Glow Duo 🙂
First, is the Overnight Resurfacing Peel, which I’ve been using for over a year. You’ve probably heard me rave about this product already as it’s significantly improved my melasma from from pregnancy and soccer game fun in the sun (see below for before and afters!) I’ve been really pleased with my results using this every other night in conjunction with the Countertime Regimen.
Second is the All Bright Vitamin C Serum (for daytime). I’ve been wearing less makeup as a result (not that I’m wearing much anyways!), and my complexion seems to be looking brighter.
Here’s a deeper dive into my review of both products.
Two Beautycounter Products For Brighter Skin
What does it do?
- Made with an ultra-stable, potent blend of 10% vitamin C
- Fades discoloration and sun spots by reducing your skin’s production of melanin (this is what I need!)
- Boosts collagen production
- Antioxidant-rich formula helps defend skin against environmental stressors like pollution
- Instant boost of luminous radiance that leaves skin glowing
- Can be layered over your current regimen treat step
Is Vitamin C stable in a serum?
Vitamin C can be very unstable — especially in its purest form, Ascorbic Acid, which degrades quickly so that it’s not as effective long-term and can cause irritation when used in high concentrations. Beautycounter spent years trying to solve this problem and created a blend of two ultra-stable forms of vitamin C.
The 10% dose of vitamin C includes:
- 5% Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate: This antioxidant helps reduce the appearance of dark spots and boosts skin brightening to reveal more youthful-looking skin.
- 5% Bis-Glyceryl Ascorbate: A second form of vitamin C, this ingredient moisturizes skin while providing antioxidant benefits known to protect skin from damaging environmental stressors—and helps improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
What makes it yellow?
Turmeric Root Extract is what gives the serum its vibrant hue! That’s thanks to turmeric, an antioxidant superstar that helps even skin tone and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Plus, Camu Camu Fruit Extract helps reduce the appearance of dark spots while brightening to visually improve signs of skin fatigue.
How do I use a vitamin C serum?
Use All Bright C Serum as a treat step with any regimen. After cleansing and toning in the morning, use your regimen’s regular serum, then layer All Bright C Serum on top. Apply to face, neck, and décolletage. Follow with your daytime moisturizer and SPF.
- If you have sensitive skin, you’ll want to patch test first. And like any new product, ease in with an every-few-days-at-first approach.
- If you have oily or acne-prone skin, you might consider mixing it with one of Beautycounter’s face oils to acclimate your skin to the serum’s pH.
- If you have a darker skin tone, you can use it too! All skin can experience sun damage as hyper-pigmentation or “sun spots.” The serum won’t lighten your skin’s natural melanin but will regulate what is normal for you where there is damage.
Can you use a vitamin C serum at night?
ABC serum is designed to be used in the daytime – when you need antioxidant protection from environmental stressors. Plus, there is the Overnight Peel for night!
What does it do?
- 15 botanically-derived acids resurface your skin without causing irritation – it’s gentle, yet effective!
- 9 of those are resurfacing acids that work to renew the skin by sloughing off dead skin cells
- 6 are soothing acids that rehydrate and replenish skin
- Note: skin does not actually peel or flake off like a peel that you may get from a dermatologist
How do I use the Overnight Resurfacing Peel?
- Use the peel 3-4x a week at night in place of your serum, before a moisturizer or night cream
- Wait 3-5 minutes after applying the peel before applying your moisturizer and eye cream – it might tingle a bit but it’s working!
- Leave on overnight and complete your usual morning skin regimen – no need to rinse off
My Review + Results
So am I seeing results? Yes, I think so!
Brighter, more even skin is not an overnight fix and it’s never going to look perfect (especially at my age 😉 ). I’m not expecting to notice a difference in a few weeks since adding the C serum. However, since I’ve been basically going make-up free everyday while being home, I’m feeling like my skin is looking a bit more radiant!
No makeup at all on here:
I’ve been using the Overnight Peel for a year now.
And you can see how much my melasma has faded when you look at this photo! And even going back to when I started using Countertime, I can see a big difference in spots and brightening. It’s when I look at older photos that I notice a difference the most. So I’ll be sure to share an update after a few months.
Side note: I LOVE the scent!! Some say it smells like turmeric, but I think it smells more like a vintage bottle of wine?!
Why are Beautycounter products safer?
Both the All Bright C Serum and Overnight Resurfacing Peel are formulated without synthetic fragrances, ethoxylated ingredients (including PEGs) due to reproductive and developmental concerns (as well as toxicity to the aquatic environment), and formaldehyde-releasing preservatives.
As always, every ingredient used in Beautycounter’s formulas has gone through rigorous raw materials screening and testing to ensure it’s safe for human health.
Both of these products are considered “booster” products
This means they can be added into any skincare regimen, Beautycounter or not. So even if you love your cleanser and night cream, you can add one or both of these in your treat step and get an extra boost.
If you need help getting on a better skincare routine beyond adding in a serum or peel, fill this out and I’ll email you back some recommendations.