Whether you’re looking for a classic club or loaded veggie sub, I’m sharing 15 delicious sandwich recipes that are healthy and satiating.
Move over salads… make room for sandwiches!
You know I love my salads, but sometimes I want a heartier, satiating lunch. Don’t you ever just crave a big ol’ sandwich? I sure do!
If I can toot my own horn, I know a thing or two about making a great sandwich. I used to make a lot of sandwiches during my Great Harvest days.
I’m sure we’ve all had a soggy sandwich, but I bet you’ve also had that sandwich that sticks out in your mind. The one with all the layers that’s stack so high you high hardly get a bite into it.
I also love sandwiches from a nutritional point of view because they typically include the three macronutrients (protein from meats and cheese, healthy fats from avocado and spreads, and carbohydrates from bread and vegetables – for example) that equate to a filling, nutrient-dense meal.
Some of the best sandwiches that I have ever had usually involve some amazing spread, something hearty, a veg or two like arugula, and really (really really) good bread.
Three Parts of A Perfect Sandwich
- Bread – the options are endless, but the bread really does make the sandwich. I love bread that is chewy and adore sandwiches made with ciabatta or french bread.
- Spread – the spread is directly apply to the bread to help hold the filling and bread together. No one wants a dry sandwich! Mayonnaise is probably the most popular, but spreads can get gourmet like fig and goat cheese too.
- Filling – the filling could be a variety of limitless items (i.e. turkey, Swiss cheese, tofu, egg, and avocado).
Tips To Create A Delicious Sandwich
- Bust out the condiments – mayo, mustard, pesto, pepper jelly, hummus, etc.
- Sprinkle on seasonings – try Penzy’s Sandwich Sprinkle, everything bagel seasoning, red pepper flakes
- Vary your veggies – add crunch with radishes and cucumbers, slices of juicy heirloom tomato, creamy avocado, spicy arugula, etc. I never make a sandwich at home without a sandwich pickle!
from The Kitchn: Spice Up a Boring Sandwich
from Eater: Adding These Ingredients Will Fix Any Boring Sandwich
Side To Eat With A Delicious Sandwich
- Arugula Goat Cheese Salad
- A Great Summer Salad
- Summery Pasta Salad
- Summer Vegetable Salad
- Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Roasted Tofu Potato Salad
15 Delicious Sandwich Recipes
1. Scrambled Egg Sandwich with Avocado
This sky-high scrambled egg sandwich on whole wheat bread is layered with avocado, slices of sharp cheddar, and greens. Enjoy for breakfast or lunch!
2. Pumpernickel Salmon Red Pepper Sandwich
This Pumpernickel Salmon Red Pepper Sandwich features smoked salmon, sweet and spicy red pepper jelly, and spinach and red pepper for a nutritious crunch.
3. Tempeh Hummus Avocado Tomato (THAT) Sandwich
This tempeh sandwich is made with tempeh, hummus, avocado, and tomato for a tasty vegetarian choice. I used to use tempeh for sandwich meat all the time! You don’t have to cook it and you can pair it with anything you’d pair with deli meat.
4. Smoked Salmon Sliders
These are my favorite party sandwiches to bring to a picnic! They are so quick to make and a crowd-pleasing healthy choice with cucumbers and peppers inside.
5. Four Open-Faced Sandwich Ideas
If too much bread is too much of a good thing, try an open-faced sandwich! Here are four ideas from sweet to savory. The Peach, Prosciutto and Brie is my favorite!
6. Salmon Salad Pita Pockets
A pita pocket definitely counts as a sandwich! Stuff stuffed into bread – check. This recipe was a tribute to the salmon salad pita pockets I grew up eating at the local deli in my hometown. Keep the pita warm so it doesn’t tear while you stuff it.
7. Grilled Vegetable Burrata Sandwich with Lemon Thyme Honey Mustard via Half Baked Harvest
This Grilled Vegetable Burrata Sandwich with Lemon Thyme Honey Mustard is the perfect sandwich to serve up at your next backyard BBQ or afternoon picnic in the sun. Grilled red peppers and summer zucchini tossed in a spicy lemon thyme honey mustard dressing, layered with creamy burrata cheese and sharp provolone, then sandwiched between crusty grilled ciabatta. This delicious vegetable-filled sandwich is precisely what your summer festivities need. Enjoy it warm or cold, it’s always good.
8. Egg Salad Sandwich via Alexandra’s Kitchen
This egg salad sandwich has become a staple not only for its deliciousness but also for the ease in which it comes together. A stovetop steaming method makes for eggs that peel like a dream. And a simple dressing — celery, scallions, mayonnaise, and pickle juice — makes for fast assembly.
9. Vegan Smashed Chickpea Sandwich via Evergreen Kitchen
This delicious Vegan Smashed Chickpea Sandwich will brighten up weekday lunches. The high protein chickpea filling has fresh dill, lemon, and celery. You can also use the flavorful filling for wraps, bowls, salads, or as a dip. So versatile and so tasty!
10. Summer Squash Sandwich With Spicy Sun-Dried Tomato & Herbed Ricotta via Honestly Yum
The combination of herby ricotta, crunchy zucchini, peppery watercress, creamy avocado and zesty sun-dried tomato into a single sando is summer epitomized.
11. BLT via Well Plated
This gourmet BLT recipe with thick, crispy bacon, juicy tomatoes, and creamy avocado is simple and fresh. The best BLT you’ve ever eaten!
12. 10-Minute Sheet Pan Turkey Melts via Aberdeen’s Kitchen
Quick and easy broiled turkey melts all done on a sheet pan in just 10 minutes.
13. Tofu Banh Mi Sandwich via The Almond Eater
This Tofu Banh Mi is a delicious vegan version of the classic sandwich. It’s made with pan-fried and marinated tofu and pickled vegetables, then topped with vegan mayo, cilantro and sriracha for an easy, flavor-packed meal.
14. Grilled Salmon Club Sandwich with Charred Scallion Mayo via How Sweet Eats
This grilled salmon club sandwich is perfect for summer! Topped with juicy tomatoes, crunchy bacon, lettuce and the most delicious charred scallion mayo – it is a hit all around.
15. Mediterranean Scramble Pita Pockets
I always have eggs on hand, so they are one of my favorite sandwich ingredients. Turn your eggs into a Mediterranean-inspired scramble with olives, peppers, and spinach, and stuff it into a pita pocket for an in-hand lunch sandwich!
What’s your favorite type of sandwich?
Thanks for that squash sandwich recommendation, tried it tonight it was excellent!