Happy 4th!! If you need a last minute picnic dish, this one is a good one. Pasta salads are my go-to picnic food. They are easy to assemble, pack up and eat on the go. They’re also very easy to customize!
This one features fresh garden veggies and herbs, prepared pesto we froze last year, pasta and grilled chicken. You could sub in eggplant or squash and swap the chicken for shrimp or tofu if you fancy!
Start by preheating your grill and chopping your veggies.
Get your pasta boiling…
And pick some basil from the garden!
We used two large bone-in chicken breasts, but you could also use boneless. Season them with olive oil, salt and pepper before grilling until they are done in the thickest part, about 25 minutes on our grill.
Charred zucchini is one of my summer favorites! Chop it up and add to your pot.
Chop and toss in! Coat everything with pesto.
We took this salad on a picnic and had more for lunch the next day.
Summery Pasta Salad
Yield 4-6 Servings
This summery pasta salad features a plethora of delicious summer ingredients: tomatoes, basil, pesto, zucchini and feta cheese. Make it vegetarian or use grilled chicken or shrimp.
- 12 ounces fusilli pasta
- 1.5 lbs bone in chicken breast (or 2 large boneless breasts)
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 small bunch basil
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 6-8 ounces feta cheese
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat your grill.
- Bring a big pot of salty water to boil and cook pasta according to directions.
- Slice tomatoes and zucchini.
- Season chicken and zucchini with salt, pepper and olive oil and grill until done. For zucchini about 5-7 minutes per side and for chicken, about 20-25 minutes split between hot and warm racks.
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl and garnish with chopped basil.
The goat feta is the best! But regular feta will be juuuuust fine. Add some olives for a punch too!
Where will you be picnicking this summer?