Summatime, summatime, sum sum summatime. As the days grow shorter, so does our time left with summer produce.
Lovely tomatoes. Fresh okra. Crisp green beans. Peppers that bite.
They all come together in this salad that is as healthy as it is delicious.
The star of the show is fresh lima beans I picked up from our farmer’s market. Pot Luck Farm got me hooked on theirs. Since they are fresh, they don’t need to be soaked – just boil slowly for about 30 minutes and you have perfectly tender beans. If you aren’t so lucky to find fresh limas, you can definitely use canned or frozen. You could also swap in any kind of bean you like!
I boiled my limas as directed and added my green beans in the last 3 minutes to give them a quick blanch.
Meanwhile, my okra roasted in the oven after tossing with smoked paprika, salt and olive oil
I chopped up the tomatoes and some cilantro and made a dressing to pull the dish together.
This is my classic honey mustard dressing – equal parts honey, lemon, olive oil and mustard plus garlic and salt for flavor.
Summer Vegetable Salad
- 3-4 cups whole okra
- 3 cups fresh green beans
- 3 large or 5 small heirloom tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 cups fresh lima beans or other beans
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- For the dressing
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Bring a big pot of water to boil and cook your lima beans until they are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add green beans in last few minutes of cooking. (If you are not cooking your limas from scratch, you can just cook the green beans on their own.)
- Preheat oven to 350* and roast okra tossed in olive oil and paprika until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Chop tomatoes and peppers into bite size pieces.
- Shake dressing ingredients together in a jar.
- Trim okra stems off after baking.
- Toss everything together in a large bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro.