This Pumpernickel Salmon Red Pepper Sandwich features smoked salmon, sweet and spicy red pepper jelly, and spinach and red pepper for a nutritious crunch.
When I was little every Christmas Day, after the presents were all unwrapped, we drove from my grandmother’s house in Lakewood, New Jersey down to my other grandparents’ house in Towson, Maryland for Christmas dinner.
For lunch we often stopped at a bagel shop that split the three-hour drive in half. And every single time I got a pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese.
Both of my grandmothers served excellent sandwich bars with delicious pumpernickel bread – it has always been a favorite of mine.
Pumpernickel Salmon Red Pepper Sandwich
This sandwich is the bridge between two of my favorite dishes: smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels, and cream cheese smothered in red pepper jelly. I love the sweet-spicy combo! Red peppers and spinach add some healthy veggies to the mix.
For this recipe I used a whipped cream cheese so I could slather it on thick!
Nestle the red peppers into the cream cheese so they don’t fall out.
Pumpernickel Salmon Red Pepper Sandwiches
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 tbsp whipped cream cheese
- 2 tbsp red pepper jelly or chutney
- 1/4 cup chopped red peppers
- Handful baby spinach
- 4 ounces smoked sockeye salmon
- Spread 2 tbsp cream cheese and 1 tbsp of red pepper jelly on the two sides of sandwich.
- Press red peppers into cream cheese.
- Layer salmon onto red pepper jelly.
- Top with spinach and press together.