This is sponsored by the National Milk Life Campaign
The holidays are a time when large families pack into small houses. Along with the extra laughter and coziness comes more mouths to feed, particularly for big breakfasts and brunch, especially Christmas morning brunch! These cute little Mediterranean scramble pita pockets make the perfect addition to your holiday brunch table. They are quick and easy to make – no worrying about burning the waffles or keeping people waiting on that casserole to finish setting! And they will satisfy hunger of all ages.
I packed these Mediterranean scramble pita pockets with baby spinach, red pepper, kalamata olives, and prepared pesto, so they have quite a bit of flavor inside. Add any extra olives or peppers you have to the platter as a garnish.
To start the day with your best foot forward, have a glass of milk for a boost of wholesome, simple nutrition as your brunch drink of choice. ‘Tis best to start the day off on the right foot. Or add frothed milk to your coffee for café au lait or latte or a touch of hot cocoa with warmed milk. An 8-ounce glass of milk has 8 grams of high-quality natural protein, plus other essential nutrients like calcium and vitamin D, so you’ll be getting good nutrition and comforting warmth all in one.
The scramble base of these Mediterranean scramble pita pockets is made with eggs, milk, and a pinch of Italian seasoning. Eggs and milk are both ingredients I always have in my fridge, as their versatility and nutrition form the backbone of so many recipes.
Olives and pesto are long-lasting, tasty ingredients that I keep in the pantry and add to dishes for an easy way to boost flavor. And red peppers and spinach are always on my weekly shopping list. Thus, these pitas are made from many ingredients you likely have on hand already. Use any extras to garnish your table!
Begin by whisking the milk with eggs and Italian seasoning in a bowl.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and add olive oil to the skillet. Toss in peppers and cook for about 3 minutes, until the peppers soften. Add spinach and olives, and cook for another 2 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Pour the egg mixture on top and scramble everything together until eggs are cooked through.
Cut each pita in half to create 4 pieces. Cover pita halves with a damp paper towel and steam in the microwave for 20 seconds.
Finally, carefully stuff each pita half with egg mixture.
Mediterranean Pita Pocket Sandwich
Yield 4 serving
- 2 six-inch whole wheat pitas
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Pinch Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp olive oil, for cooking
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/8 cup Kalamata olives, chopped (from about 8 whole medium olives)
- 8 tsp prepared pesto
- Pair each serving with: 8 ounce glass of milk
- Whisk eggs, 1/4 cup milk and Italian seasoning together in a small bowl.
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat, and add olive oil to skillet.
- Toss in peppers and cook for about 3 minutes, until peppers soften.
- Add spinach and olives, and cook for another 2 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Add egg mixture and scramble together until eggs are cooked through and no liquid remains.
- Cut each pita in half to create 4 pieces. Cover pita halves with a damp paper towel and steam in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Fill each half with 2 teaspoons of pesto and then 1/4 of the vegetables scramble.
- Pair each pita pocket sandwich with remaining 8-ounce glass of milk and serve.
Thanks to the National Milk Life Campaign for sponsoring this post on Mediterranean scramble pita pockets! Follow along for more milk fun on the Milk Life social channels: Facebook / Twitter / Pinterest / Instagram.