Tribute To Oatmeal
Whipped Banana Oatmeal
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup 1% or skim or soy milk
- 2/3 cup water (I like my oats a bit liquidy – cut back to 1/2 a cup if you don’t)
- 1/2 a banana, sliced
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds (they give the best fluffy texture!)
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Vanilla, stirred in at end
Start by combining rolled oats, water, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Slice a banana into VERY thin pieces, leaving just a few bigger chunks. Walk away for a few minutes while the oatmeal heats. Once it begins to steam or bubble, stir vigorously at times to “whip” the banana into the oats. The oats will take about 5 minutes on medium heat from start to finish to fully absorb the liquid. They’re done when they reach your desired consistency! Then I stir in vanilla (and often pumpkin or cottage cheese) and portion into bowls. Add any toppings you like, such as almond or peanut butter dollops, nuts, granola, coconut, crumbled granola bars, or trail mix – with dark chocolate chips! Or check out all the combos listed below.
The whipped method produces a really creamy bowl of oats. The bananas basically disappear, so there are no chunks. Since banana is an emulsifier of sorts, this method suspends the oats into a thick, creamy consistency and the whole bowl is sweeter because the banana’s sweetness permeates throughout.
Other Delightful Oaty Breakfasts
[Click image to explore]
In a KERF Bowl
Egg Nog + Cinnamon Bun LaraBar
PB + J
- 1 medium banana, split
- 3 scoops of 1/3 cup prepared oatmeal made with half milk/half water and a few raisins
- Raspberry jam, honey and peanut butter on the scoops
- Ryeberries as “nuts” (they taste just like wheatberries and speltberries)
- Granola plank for fun
- A real cherry on top!
With cottage cheese –
A Little Whipped Cream!
With Cottage Cheese –
Egg, Avocado + Cheese
With trail mix -
Cranberry Sauce + Greek Yogurt –
Pumpkin + Cereal
Pumpkin + Coconut
Sunny Side Oats
- Oatmeal + wheatberry base
- 1 egg, cooked sunny side up with a soft yolk
- About 2 tbsp fancy shredded 2% cheese
- Fresh basil
The cheese + oats underneath the egg
Cranberry Sauce + Trail Mix
Topped with homemade granola
Savory Prosciutto Oats
Dried figs, goat cheese, strawberries, ryeberries, prosciutto + honey
Pumpkin Coconut Pie!
Steel Cut -
Apples + Pecans
SPOOKY Halloween Oats!
Apples + Toasted Almonds
You can’t beat melted chocolate for breakfast!
Almond liquor, almond meal, almond coconut granola, toasted almonds, almond butter.
Here’s to the best breakfast ever!!