When you have buckwheat!?
I got to work on a buckwheat bake for a killer Sunday morning breakfast. But this time I did not have 30 minutes of patience so I tried the microwave version!
Never going back to the oven. If you like doughy texture, this is the version for you!
I also used a flax egg instead of a real egg to attempt a more doughy texture – it was incredible!! The batter was also good enough to eat as a super thick smoothie 🙂
1 minute 35 seconds in the microwave later….breakfast was served!
I LOVED the texture of this – and I added half a tablespoon of cocoa powder – it was perfect!
Inspired by all of Ashley’s amazing buckwheat combinations!
For TWO bakes – one for me, one for the spouse, or one for tomorrow!
Chocolate Banana Buckwheat Bake
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour ground raw buckwheat groats in the vita-mix
- 2 tbsp raw buckwheat grouts
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp flax + 1/3 cup warm water sit for a few minutes
- 1 mashed super ripe banana
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt [I think all baked goods need salt!]
- Prepare flax egg.
- Mix all dry.
- Mix with into dry.
- Grease two ramekins (I used my Misto)
- Pour batter into ramekins.
- Microwave each one separately for 1 minute, 35 seconds
- Flip onto plate and top away!
I could feel the lovely crunch of the raw whole buckwheats in this version – perhaps due to the different cooking time? Also, the oven-bake with the real egg was more like bread. This was more like a muffin – lighter, denser, less spring to the crumb. Much more of my favorite kind of texture!
Topped with banana, coconut, sunflower butter. I took my time eating this – took me about 20 minutes of tiny bites. Yum!
Other versions I’ve tired:
Today is wide open – we’re going to take it a little easier. Although there might still be bakery work involved!
Have a great Sunday!