These green chile cheese grits are super easy to make and will take about 10 minutes. The spicy, cheesy recipe is perfect for a savory breakfast (if you add a fried egg on top!), as a side at brunch, or with shrimp and greens for dinner!
I am all about quick and easy recipes, and this one is a huge winner! Being a Southern woman, I love me some grits! In my opinion, the heartier and more coarsely ground, the better. On New Year’s Day, we went over to John’s for brunch, and one of his friends whipped up the most delicious pot of green chile cheese grits. I had two bowls and could not stop eating them!
I asked her for the recipe outline and knew I had to make these myself. Imagine my delight when she showed me her grits – Quaker Old Fashioned Grits! Of course the king of oatmeal makes darn good classic grits too.
The recipe is very simple and fairly nutritious. It uses chicken broth for flavor, two cans of chopped green chiles for spice (no cutting board necessary!) and sharp cheddar cheese for a creamy bite. Use whatever kind of shredded cheese you like!
Bring four cups of chicken or vegetable stock to a boil in a medium pot. This only took me a few minutes. Once it’s just beginning to boil, add 1 cup of grits, stir, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover (bubbles of hot grits might burst out!)
Once the grits are nice and thick, stir in the chiles and cheese.
Stir everything together so that it’s nice and melted. If you prefer a richer dish, add in an optional few tablespoons of butter here too!
Portion into small bowls (or giant bowls!!!) and top with a little smoked paprika, if you like!
Easy Green Chile Cheese Grits
- 1 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Grits
- 1 32- ounce box of chicken or vegetable stock ~4 cups
- 2 cans chopped green chiles
- 1 heaping cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: 2-3 tbsp butter and smoked paprika for garnish
- Bring stock to a boil.
- Once just boiling, add grits and stir. Reduce heat to medium low and cover.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 minutes, until grits are thick.
- Stir in green chiles and cheese, allowing cheese to melt.
- Add optional 2-3 tbsp butter.
- Portion into bowls and sprinkle with smoked paprika.