While I’m out on the West Coast, East Coaster Amie of The Healthy Apple is here to keep you entertained! Here’s a guest post of her Easy Peasy Salmon Spread. Putting this in my Springpad to try for sure!
Easy Peasy Salmon Spread
By Amie Valpone, Nutritionist and author of The Healthy Apple
Not only is this salad a great source of calcium, but a fabulous dose of fiber too! This is one of my favorite go-to meals when I’m short on time but in the mood for a quick healthy meal. I often enjoy this dish as my lunch atop gluten-free grains or stuffed into a hollowed baked bell pepper or squash for a comforting dinner. There are countless ways to enjoy this salmon salad, as I have mentioned below; have fun and toss this recipe into your morning eggs or mix with brown rice and stuff into a baked root veggie such as a sweet potato. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do. Enjoy!
- 1 can Salmon with bones, drained
- 1/3 cup Peas, cooked
- ¼ cup Greek Plain Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. Dry Rolled Oats
- 2 Tbsp. Lime Juice
- ½ tsp. Lime Zest
- ½ cup Fresh Cherries, pitted, sliced
- ½ cup Spinach, cooked and cooled
- 1 Pink Lady Apple, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Grain Mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 Scallion, chopped
- Handful of Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- Dash of Cinnamon
- Dash of Agave nectar
- Dash of Sea Salt
- Dash of Fresh Ground Pepper
- In a food processor, combine all of the above ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to serving dishes or see below serving options.
- Serve chilled.
Countless Ways to Enjoy
- Spread on a bagel, toast, pitas and crackers.
- Spread on a protein choice such as firm tofu, seitan, tempeh and as a hardboiled egg filling.
- Use as a tasty dip for chips, pretzels and raw fruits and veggies.
- Swap this salmon salad for mayo on a sandwich or a Portobello burger.
- Swap for ketchup on a burger.
- Stuff into baked tomatoes, squash, zucchini, bell peppers and eggplant (hollow out the insides of these vegetables and fill with the salmon mixture).