Went for a run this afternoon and it was painful!
While I did run with my Twilight audio book on my iPhone – which was totally fun!!!!!!!!! – I had everything going against me:
- 7 mile run just 48 hours ago (I would have liked more time but I had to seize the day)
- FREEZING cold
- Afternoon slump (I am always faster in the AM)
- HUNGRY because I didn’t want to eat before I ran but it was really snack time
- Thirsty!! I don’t drink enough now that I’m on my feet a lot all day
- Oh, and I was on my feet all morning!
I was just going to do a short 4 miles but I ended up not wanting to cross a busy street and went on a loop that was longer than I had remembered. I ended up doing close to 6 miles and was grumpy by the end to get home and warm and fed! I was running 9:45 miles instead of 8:30-8:45 today. Lesson learned: good runs happen when you are primed to run!
Luckily my hero was scheduled to make dinner tonight and so I could catch up on emails and blog work while he prepped. He has been assigned one soup a week (that he chose from a soup cook book called The Soup Bible throughout my internship).
On the menu: Irish Ale + Cheese Soup!
Recipe From Matt:
- -3 carrots, 2 taters, 3 cloves garlic, sauteed in 1T canola with salt, pepper
- -add half Tbsp of mixed thyme and rosemary
- -add 1C chick broth and 3C water, bring to boil
- -boil covered for 15 mins
- -mash with masher
- -add 3oz cheese and 1 beer
- -grate cheese over serving
Wish I could say this was fabulous, but it was just OK. A little too potatoey. We both agreed it could have used some CREAM but then it wouldn’t have been as light 🙂 The cheese was awesome though, and the beer flavor was there. He used a homebrewed Irish red ale! It was still good though!
He enthusiastically brought home a whole wheat sourdough baguette loaf for us to have with the soup. Crunch + chew!
A bit later I felt kind of empty and decided on a healthy dessert – Oikos topped with a little Crunchy Coconut Granola, Biscoff and a few pieces of dark chocolate. YUM!
We’re going up to bed soon – it feels so late! I haven’t gotten my full 8 hours two nights in a row and am determined to get them tonight. Hafta fold laundry and read some blogs first.
By the way: the best way to fall asleep – a soothing audiobook with headphones. It’s like mom + dad reading a story to you at bedtime! [I always have to rewind 5 minutes in the AM ’cause I dose off and miss the last few minutes 🙂 ]