Don’t knock it ’til you try it, folks!!
On my NYC trip with Quaker we started talking about all the savory oatmeal options out there. Have any of you been to OatMeals, the oatmeal restaurant in Lower Manhattan? We almost went during our visit with some of the magazine editors, but the timing just didn’t work out. They told us about some of the creative savory oat bowls, and had us brainstorming all the creative ways to enjoy oatmeal for lunch or dinner. Oats are so similar to risotto, so it’s easy just to imagine risotto to get the creative juices flowing.
Bacon, date and blue cheese is one of my very favorite sweet-savory combos. I’ve combined these ingredients in a stuffed pork tenderloin, and they are my favorite toppings for collard greens.
You could surely have this for breakfast, but perhaps it’s easier to imagine as a lunch or light dinner.
Start by making a simple bowl of oatmeal with milk, water and salt. No whipped banana here!
Stir in the greens near the end of cooking to allow them to wilt a bit.
Prep your ingredients on the side – leftover bacon, a juicy date and a bit of crumbled blue cheese.
Add your toppings and drizzle with a little maple syrup for the perfect sweet-savory combo!
Sweet Bacon Blue Savory Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pinch kosher salt
- Small handful fresh spinach or other greens chopped
- 1 date chopped
- 1 slice cooked bacon chopped
- 1/2 ounce blue cheese crumbled
- Maple syrup for garnishing
- In a medium pot, add oats, milk, water and salt. Set heat to medium.
- When oats begin to bubble, begin to stir until they reach desired thickness.
- Stir in greens and allow to wilt.
- Pour oatmeal into a bowl.
- Heat bacon and date if you prefer them warm.
- Add bacon, date, and blue cheese to oatmeal and drizzle with maple syrup.