I’m bringing back an updated and refreshed version of one of my favorite KERF recipes: Pumpkin, Goat Cheese & Kale Lasagna! This combination of flavors is non-traditional and will knock your socks off with this easy vegetarian recipe.
Pumpkin, Goat Cheese & Kale Lasagna Recipe
This is one of my all-time favorite KERF recipes!
And I know it is some of yours because you guys tell me you make it over and over again. I thought it was time for a refresh, so I gave this recipe a few tweaks (to serve more than two) and a sparkly new photoshoot.
We enjoyed this lasagna while my parents were visiting, and they gave it two thumbs up!
Lasagna with a twist
This twist on classic lasagna features some of my very favorite superfood ingredients.
Tomato Sauce –> Pumpkin
Think of the pumpkin mixture as the “tomato sauce.” About 2 cups of sweet potato would work here too!
Ricotta –> Goat Cheese
You can either sprinkle your goat cheese throughout the layers or put it as one thick layer in the middle (that’s what I did!)
Spinach –> Kale
Fresh curly kale full of fiber! I used half a giant bag of pre-shredded kale, about six ounces. You’ll want to pick out the stems and wilt it in a skillet with some garlic before you begin the layering process. You can also use baby spinach here too – use more if you do!
Combine those ingredients with spices, shredded cheese, and no-boil lasagna noodles and you have yourself one easy and unique all-in-one dish!
How To Assemble Your Pumpkin, Goat Cheese & Kale Lasagna
Mix spices into your canned pumpkin.
Use a little more or less depending on your preferences.
Wilt kale in a skillet.
Use some olive oil and add water to steam halfway through. Add minced garlic in the last few minutes for a bit of extra flavor.
Ready to assemble!
Assemble your layers!
Start with pumpkin on the bottom as you would sauce. Then put noodles on top.
Add more layers.
Add more pumpkin, then kale, then goat cheese, then cheese. Repeat. The order doesn’t matter all that much as long as you’re varying ingredients as you go. End with the last bit of kale and shredded cheese on top. Add more cheese if you like a really cheesy lasagna! Make sure to spread your toppings edge to edge over the noodles so they have a chance to soak up the moisture and cook. Otherwise you’ll get crispy corners!
Bake for 25 minutes covered with foil
Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes more.
After 35 minutes in the oven, everything came together like so:
Serves 4-6 people!
Pumpkin, Goat Cheese & Kale Lasagna
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- 8 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles 1/2 of a 16 ounce package or traditional noodles, pre-cooked
- 1 can canned pumpkin Or 1.75 cups
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 10 grinds black pepper
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 6 ounces trimmed kale Or one large head, trimmed and washed
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2-3 cups shredded Italian cheese blend Use more if you like a lot of cheese!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix seasonings into pumpkin.
- Steam kale in a large skillet until wilted and tender. Add garlic and saute for a few minutes, until cooked.
- Spread a thin layer of pumpkin on the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Place lasagna noodles in into dish, filling across
- Spread on another pumpkin layer followed by a layer of goat cheese, a layer of kale and then a layer of shredded cheese.
- Repeat layers in whatever order you like until you run out of ingredients, ending with kale and shredded cheese on top. Be sure to spread ingredients to the edges of noodles so they will fully cook to the edges.
- Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes longer.