Wearing face masks comes with new challenges for our skin and pores. Here are some tips for preventing mask-related breakouts and products for maskne from Beautycounter when breakouts do show up. This post contains affiliate links.
I always wear a mask when I’m in public – both for my own protection and for others. Many of us have been wearing masks for months now – some of you all day, everyday at work. Kudos to you because I know that isn’t a fun addition to your work day.
If you’ve found that your skin has been less than happy during the past several months (oh hey, new breakouts!), you’re not alone.
I have had a steady trickle of questions asking Beautycounter products that might help with fight “maskne” aka mask acne or irritated skin in the mask zone.
Here are some ways to keep your skin clear while staying safe and products for maskne that might help your skin breathe a little easier.
But first, what is maskne?
Maskne is the buzzy term for acne and blemishes caused by friction, heat, sweat, bacteria, and oil as a result of wearing a mask.
How To Prevent Maskne
1. Wash or change your mask often as your first line of defense.
Your best defense is offense. If you’re wearing a reusable mask day after day, bacteria is living on the edges (and probably the surface too – you should wash it to remove other people’s sneezes too – eek!)
2. Minimize Makeup
It’s also a good idea to skip makeup under your mask to allow your pores to breathe as much as possible. The good news is that since your face is covered, no one knows!
3. Cleanse your face with a moisturizing cleanser
If your mask is causing you to have increased oil production, you can use a face wipe in the middle of the day for a quick cleanse. And then use the right cleanser for your skin type morning and night too. (Learn more about the best products for each type in this post: What’s My Skin Type?)
- Dry & irritated? Countermatch Refresh Foaming Cleanser
- Extra oily? Countercontrol Clear Pore Cleanser
4. Protect your skin
Products For Maskne
If irritation and breakouts keep happening, here are some products to help minimize breakouts once they start.
Calm irritated skin
- Use a very gentle cleanser if skin is irritated. The Counterstart cleanser is as gentle as it comes.
- Use our ultra-hydrating Lotus Glow Cleansing Balm as a soothing overnight mask. (Yes this product is totally multipurpose!) With a blend of lotus extract, jojoba seed oil, and avocado seed oil, the balm soothes and destresses skin.
- The No. 3 Balancing Oil is great for spot treating areas of redness too. Silky smooth Meadowfoam seed oil helps restore balance.
- Pesky pimple? Countercontrol SOS Acne Spot Treatment
- Avoid future breakouts? Countercontrol All Over Acne Treatment
- Too shiny? Countercontrol Matte Effect Gel Cream
- Our minty Charcoal Facial Mask with activated charcoal and kaolin clay is the ultimate exfoliating, pore-cleansing mask for maskne. Use it 2-3 times a week, especially if your skin leans oily. You can also use it as a spot treatment in the areas that need a little extra detoxing where oil tends to build (like your mask line!) instead of over your entire face.
- The Overnight Resurfacing Peel is also a good addition to almost any skincare routine. It increases cell turnover which helps clear pores and prevent breakouts, plus it’s incredibly nourishing. Glycolic Acid gently exfoliates while lactic Acid stimulates cell renewal. Arginine and Fatty Acids aid in conditioning and moisturizing skin.
And finally – try not to mess with your face too much. I know it’s hard not to want to problem solve, but your fingers almost always make breakouts and redness worse, so hang up your mask and relax your hands with something else to keep them busy!