Yup, I’m going to go out on a limb and call these refreshments made with Lumi juices the world’s healthiest cocktails! Because, when you combine cold-pressed organic fruit and vegetable juices with fresh ingredients and fine liquors, you are balancing the naughty with the nice 🙂
This is my friend, Hillary, who is the founder of Lumi. She invited me over to her lovely front porch for a little
business meeting girl time!
Lumi is made locally here in Charlottesville, but distributed nationwide. It stands for “Love yoU, Mean It,” and was founded by Hillary in 2013 during her second year at UVA’s Darden Business School. At Lumi, they cold press over two pounds of organic produce into every bottle! And they don’t stop there – to protect the good stuff and maintain that delicious, freshly-squeezed taste, Lumi uses high pressure processing (HPP), instead of heat pasteurization. HPP kills bacteria with water pressure, while still maintaining the nutrients and flavor profile of the fresh pressed juice.
Why should you make a cocktail with Lumi?
- Lumi juices are 100% organic and are never heat pasteurized – so it tastes just like the fresh pressed juice you make at home, without the hassle. (Trying to remake the 16-ounce Farmhouse Greens at home would cost you over $18.)
- Lumi never adds sugar to its beverages and, it has less calories and more nutrition than most juices on the market.
- Lumi juices hydrate your body.
- Lumi is super easy to mix and make.
- You would be supporting a small, woman-owned business (as well as my friend!).
So, of course us two fun gals took the super healthy juice and played mixologist. The following recipes are Hillary’s favorite combos, and they couldn’t have been easier to stir up.
- 2 oz Tequila Reposado (100% agave only!)
- 4 oz Lumi Morning Sunrise – which contains organic grapefruit juice and a hint of lime
- 1 oz sparkling water for some bubbles
- A wedge of lime
(Spice up this twist on a traditional margarita with muddled jalapeños for a Cowgirl Kick Punch.)
Wahoo Derby Special
- Fresh mint leaves
- 2 oz bourbon (our favorite is Bulleit)
- 5 oz Lumi Wahoo Orange
- Garnish with an orange slice
- 2 oz gin
- 4 oz Lumi Minted Greens
- Wedge of lime
This juice has quite the kick to it thanks to the jalapeños and cilantro. But the Lumi UpBeet Pear, paired with vodka, makes you want to get up and dance!
- 2 oz vodka
- 3 oz Lumi UpBeet Pear
- 1 oz soda water
- Garnish with lime
It was time to be the ‘taste tester’! It was hard to choose a favorite, but I think the Grapefruit + Tequila won me over.
Lumi brings the juice bar to your front door through its online store and subscription programme. There are three ways to order:
- Subscribe to A Juice A Day Package: 30 days of Lumi’s 10 oz or 16 oz juices delivered straight to your door;
- Subscribe to the Work, Play, Live Package: A combination of 14 Lumi juices in 10, 16 and 2 oz shot sizes; or,
- Order the Party Package: Includes 4 Lumi Morning Sunrise juices (16 oz), 4 Wahoo Orange juices (16 oz), 4 Harvest Apple juices (10 oz), and, 4 Green Juices to help with your hangover (or to stir up in a libation!).
Subscribers always save 10%, and shipping is anywhere between $10-30, depending on whereabouts in the country you live.
The first 26 subscribers will receive a free Lumi t-shirt that says Juice Now, Rosé Later! Use the code KathEats at checkout.
Love U Mean It!