I’ve been pre-mixing salads, usually out of kale, that I can very quickly plate and dress during the week for lunch or a dinner side. I got in the habit of buying a Roots bowl and eating it twice for lunch, but time and budget don’t always allow that. So I made a copycat version of their famous El Jefe bowl to enjoy for lunches and dinner sides.
This hearty kale salad can stand up to your fridge. Unlike delicate lettuces, kale will not wilt next to a cucumber or bean (and if it does, it’s just all-the-more tender). The original El Jefe has brown rice and chicken on top. I swapped in cooked farro for rice (because it’s my jam!) and added whatever protein I had on hand at the time – a little salmon leftover from dinner or a fried egg.
Add your avocado, optional extra protein, and dressing at the last minute. Do you know one of my favorite dressing short cuts? Ask for extra sauces to bring home whenever you do go out! Or use your favorite bottled brand or make a batch of my favorite homemade dressings.
Fridge Friendly Kale Salad
- 3 cups of kale, torn into bite-size pieces pre-washed will save you time!
- 1 cucumber chopped
- 1 can of black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup frozen corn cooked and drained
- 1 cup of cooked farro or any whole grain like brown rice wheat berries or bulgur
- Cilantro to garnish
- Squeeze of lime
- Salt and pepper
- Salad dressing of your choice
- 1 avocado sliced
- Mix everything except avocado and dressing in a large tupperware and shake to combine.
- When you're ready to serve, add avocado and dressing.