I went to a panel on blog design this morning – it was really helpful to hear two designers/bloggers talk about what works and what doesn’t.
- Ideal sizing: Post area 640 px | Sidebar 320 px
- Size photos to 72 dpi, which is the highest the internet goes to optimize load time
- Match your photo size to your blog photo size (rather than a super large photo that you insert into your blog at only 400 px)
- Minimize the use of badges on your precious sidebar space
- Strive for originality, personality and functionality
- Save photos as “JPG Medium” in Photoshop
- Smoosh It plugin will resize WordPress photos if you used to blog with files that were huge (before you knew better!)
- Dafont.com is a great place to go for fonts
- Just because you have a font on your computer doesn’t mean everyone can see it – use web safe fonts (Google that for a list)
- The Blog Designer Network is a great place to get help
- Adobe Kuler is cool for color design
I felt that KERF got a pretty good rating based on what they said, but I definitely have some small changes I’d like to make. Do you have any recommendations?
I was more than hungry for lunch when the session was over! And very very happy to see a salad bar again
I piled my mixed greens with tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, pasta salad, potato salad and broccoli salad.
Plus a half a turkey + swiss sandwich on the side –
For dessert, Miss Iowa and I shared this [vegan] cupcake! She loved it, I loved the icing but not the cake. Storyofmylife.
I finished lunch with half a mealy apple and snagged a banana for breakfast!!
I have a few afternoon delights – a session on multimedia blogging (I’m obsessed with getting a new phone with a better camera and bigger screen), a walk with some blends and dinner with American Express and financial expert Manisha Thakor!