Mushrooms, Bacon + Radicchio over Lentils
I realize this meal looks kind of gross, but the flavor was all there!! This came straight from our brains to the table too, so the “recipe” is one of those throw-together types.
- 2 servings of brown lentils (1/2 cup dry) simmered in water until tender
- 1 small head of radicchio, chopped and broiled for 15 minutes, tossing once or twice
- 3 slices of bacon (all natural), chopped and cooked
- 1 pound of mushrooms (button and cremini), sliced and cooked in the bacon drippings plus 1/2 a tbsp butter
- Homemade vinaigrette made with equal parts (about 1 tsp each, all eyeballed) honey, olive oil, dijon mustard, lime juice, chopped fresh rosemary plus 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- A sprinkle of grated Asiago cheese
Makes 2 servings, ~350 kcal each.
I was out most of the afternoon running between stores for a few items – literally! A funny side item: When I’m short on time and don’t want to waste any not in a store, I often RUN across parking lots when I’m going from one end to the other because I’m too lazy to take the time to walk!! I don’t usually carry a big purse, so it’s easy to break into a jog. Just look out for cars! Sometimes the husband and I do it together when we’re parked at the edge of a lot at the mall or Wal-Mart or something. It’s fun to get your heart pumping for a moment!
Anyways, I was out all afternoon and didn’t bring a snack with me. I was mildly hungry from about 3:30-5 but food on the go (mostly places like Starbucks) is rarely “worth it” for me. I’d rather wait until I get home and have a good snack!
So when I got home at 6 I had a handful of Kashi crackers (about twice as many as here) to tide me until dinner, which we started preparing right away.
And we cracked open a bottle of Reisling I bought at World Market a few months ago. It was great! I had about 5 oz tonight.
Lastly, dessert 🙂 A little chocolate truffle
I’ve got lots to do tomorrow, so I better get to answer>ing some of these emails/comments!