Mornin’ all! I woke up today not feeling that hungry, so I decided it was a smoothie kinda day. But I was also feeling a little adventurous after last night’s culinary experiments so I decided to do another –
The secret ingredient: carrot! I pureed (as best I could) a carrot in my food processor and then moved that into the blender to make the smoothie (for some reason the FP wasn’t blending as well as the blender does..lol)
I made a mess of both appliances but it was fun
The second secret ingredient was this packet from Vega. If you look behind my thumb in very small print it says “Vanilla Chai” – that was the secret!! I’ve had this packet for a while and since I’m not a huge fan of powders, I hadn’t remembered to use it up. But when finally realized it was flavored, I thought it would go well with the carrot. I used about 60% of the packet and saved more for later (All the info on the packet + brand can be found here.)
And this was one of the most delicious smoothies I’ve ever made!! Mostly because of the intense vanilla chai flavor and extra sweetening from stevia in the packet
- 1 carrot, pureed
- 1 small banana
- ~1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/2 packet vanilla chai
- 1/4 cup rolled old fashioned oats, dry
- Handful ice
10 Minute C+K Challenge
In other excitement, Caitlin and I are teaming up to bring you a new challenge. As you may know, I hate weight lifting. I have to force myself to do it about 3x a week – just simple free weights of the major upper body and perhaps some lunges thrown in – but 10 minutes is about all I can handle. I know strength training is super important though, so I am always looking for new ways to get it in that are fun (yoga, for instance ) I’ve noticed that Caitlin will just drop and do 10 minutes when she gets up – no need to make a whole workout out of it. So when I sent her an email about how I thought that was cool, she challenged me to join in. We put our heads together and came up with the following 30-day challenge –
And I promise you this is KERF tested behind the scenes and it is for even the laziest lifters!
- Do this routine ANYTIME when you have 10 minutes to spare, ideally every other day
- Move quickly between the exercises so you don’t have time to get bored
- The exercises are grouped into 3 sets of 2 for optimal memorization and swift movement – don’t stop!
- If you have knee troubles, follow Caitlin’s modifications. Knee Strength Moves can be found on Healthy Tipping Point if you kneed them, and here is a link to Caitlin’s instructional video: Caitlin’s Knee Moves (Plus an Appearance by Maggie and James)
Here We Go!
- Bicycle Crunches (about 26!)
- Reverse Crunches (about 26!)
- Lunges with optional bicep curl (about 20) OR Knee Strength Move #2
(We forgot to photograph the lunges!) (Reverse crunch: Lie on the floor and place hands on the floor or behind the head. Bring legs up so they are 90 degrees from the floor. Make a small contraction with your abs to lift your feet straight up to the ceiling and lower. This movement is very small!)
I’m going to do these RIGHT NOW!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATT!!!!!!!!!!!
(That would be Larbs’ Matt in Boston )