That brown looking blob is not a Tootsie Roll in my soup. [Or any other little brown thing you can think of.] It’s a huge bean!!!
I found these HUUUUGE beans in our Whole Foods bulk bins. I love huge beans! The bigger the better – they have more meat to chew. Last night I soaked them in water and this morning I simmered them for about an hour until they were tender while I did house things. That meant when it was time to make tonight’s dinner I had minimal prep to do.
To make this simple soup, I tossed a few more foods into a pot and simmered for 30 minutes.
The whole was greater than the sum of its parts!
Huge Bean Soup
- 1 quart of dried beans soaked and cooked (about 6 cups after cooking, maybe 3 whole cans worth? You can just eyeball the volume beans as they won’t really change the soup much.)
- 2 slices of bacon optional
- 1 huge sweet potato microwaved until its soft and cut into cubes (if you skip microwaving, cook soup a little longer)
- 2 big carrots diced
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 small bunch collard greens cleaned and chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Many grinds of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Gold Herby Nuggets OR some fresh garlic and a few dried herbs of your choice
- Once beans are cooked, sweet potato is tender, carrots and greens are clean and chopped, add bacon to big pot to brown.
- When bacon is brown, add carrot, sweet potato and beans and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add stock and spices. Stir.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Top with fresh greens, stir and cover with lid.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes, longer if desired.
We served the soup with stuffing bread croutons made fresh at the bakery today. The stuffing bread tastes like stuffing but it also makes good stuffing!
Matt RAVED about this. He proclaimed it his ideal soup!
I raved about his new smoked brown ale. Maybe my ideal brown ale!?
The Lord of the Rings saga continues in our family room. Although I just missed 45 minutes of The Two Towers while I was blogging!