This really has been the most amazing experience. I am so lucky to have been invited. A huge thank you to Quaker and the PR team for all of the great information and the wonderful trip to Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My heart literally feels healthier for the great experience 🙂
Not long after lunch I started to get really hungry (I guess my oatmeal finally wore off but my body didn’t realize it had veggies + protein at lunch!) I was missing my usual yogurt and bread at lunch. So I cracked open one of the new Banana Coconut True Delight bars. SO GOOD!!! I bet it would be great crumbled over oatsIt was very similar in texture to the Kashi Honey Almond Flax but in my opinion had better flavors – banana + coconut!
This afternoon we got to hear a talk by David, Grotto, RD, and author of 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life. Here’s some of what we learned –
Nutrition Myths from Dave Grotto, RD
- Wine is less fattening than beer. Fact: It’s all about serving size and calories.
- Sugar does not cause diabetes. Fact: Eating too much does.
- All fat are bad. Fact: Definitely not! Canola oil, olive oil, avocado, nuts = yum!
- Brown eggs are healthier than white. Fact: The color of the egg is only a reflected of the color of the chicken.
- Nuts are fattening. Fact: While they’re more calorie dense, the satiety you get from them means you’ll probably eat less throughout the rest of the day.
- Skipping meals helps you lose weight. Fact: Not true. You’re more likely to overeat in compensation.
- Eat for two when you are pregnant. Fact: (I just took a test on this!) Caloric needs barely go up in the first half of pregnancy.
- Dairy consumption is linked to cancer. Fact: Dairy isn’t linked to cancer, but high saturated fat diets MAY be linked to cancer.
- The 5 second rule. Fact: Dave says not to eat it (BUT I heard that Mythbusters disproved this!)
- You crave what your body needs. Fact: You are probably just craving food/hydration in general, not really the specific food, which just sounds appealing because you are hungry. (You don’t have cravings when you’re stuffed!)
Enjoy your oats and toppings: “Women who ate a big breakfast (610 kcal, high carb, high protein) lost more weight than those who ate 1/3 of the calories.”
Great tips Dave!!! Can’t wait to read his book, which was in our goodie bags!
I got a signed canister of more oats 🙂 I sure am rolling in oats these days!
I relaxed in the hotel for a while and then Jenna and I headed out for a little Chicago sightseeing. It sure is WINDY out there!! I ate a few trail mix nuts before I left (sorry, no photo – was in a hurry!) and got a Cinnamon Dolce non-fat latte out on the streets for a snack. Yum!
I cannot believe how dark it gets here so early. We were planning to be out in the afternoon and it was pitch back by 5:00!! J and I walked for over an hour window shopping and making a few stops in stores to drool over clothes and kitchenware 🙂
Our group reconvened for dinner at MK, The Restaurant. We could not have asked for a more perfect setting and menu.
I started with a glass of the Jayson 2006 Charonnday. SO GOOD and oaked – just how I like ’em.
We started with passed hors d’oeuvres – mushroom, eggplant and white bean crostinis and crab cakes with asparagus parmesan tartlets –
I ordered the Endive Salad with blue cheese, pecans, watercress and apple. I forgot to say “dressing on the side” but it was still good. I ate most of my plate, plus a piece of a flax-y bread.
Second pour –
For dinner I debated between the chicken and the “Kath’s Perfect Ravioli.” I think I made the best choice 🙂
Butternut Squash Ravioli with Cinnamon Roasted Root Veggies, Parmesan and Sage. These were the best ravioli I have EVER. HAD. The filling was so perfectly creamy!! I shared one with Jenna…and she gave me a bite of her delicious rare and perfectly seasoned salmon (I swore I took a photo but it’s missing…)
Some Pinot with dinner. We had impeccable service!
I also had a few bites of this chicken leg that Caitlin shared with me. Mmm!
And then came the grande finale – Apple Crisp made with a Ginger-y Quaker Oatmeal Topping!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG this was the best topping ever. It was really hard and very crunchy. (Very buttery too!) I could have easily eaten mine and my neighbors, but I stuck with about 3/4 of mine (the topping shell was a little hollow so it wasn’t quite as big as it looks)
Plus some decaf coffee with a splash of cream –
It was an outstanding meal. I’m so sad this weekend is over! I am going to be in bed by 11 so I’ll have the energy to brave the below-freezing temps to get up and be out the door running at 8am!! I am meeting (hopefully!) at least 2 readers and maybe a few bloggers. But I am determined to see the Great Lakes while I am here!! I have YET to see the lake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After my run we’re headed to Panera to meet more blog readers. So exciting!
Off to bathe, then bed!