I am back with another kale salad for you! When visiting my parents over Christmas, I had a chopped kale salad from Weaver Street that was heavy on the Asian flavors. I knew I wanted to replicate it at home. I added in some dulse – a kind of dried seaweed – for even more nutrient, color and flavor variety (but you could leave it out if you prefer!) The dulse and sesame seeds complement each other in both flavor and nutrient profile, while the rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sriracha dressing turns everything up a notch and unifies the senses. This is one of those salads that is even better the next day. Top it with an egg like I did, or hummus, tofu or leftover fish or meat.
Chop up one whole head of kale as your salad base. Since kale is so chewy, I’m into chopping the leaves pretty small.
Prepare one handful of whole dulse by tearing or chopping into small pieces. It’s a bit tough to cut, but just keep working! Optionally you can buy and add 1/2 cup of pre-cut dulse flakes.
Slice and dice those gorgeous red bell peppers!
Grate 1 whole carrot.
Toast one quarter cup of sesame seeds. Don’t let them burn!
Combine all ingredients into salad bowl and add toasted sesame seeds.
Our dressing is made of rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, honey and sriracha. Prepare your dressing by shaking well in a small mason jar. The sriracha adds spice and turns it a vibrant orange!
Massage the dressing in with all the veggies. Squeeze it well to break down that kale!
Serve as a side salad or for a complete lunch with any toppings you like.
Sesame Seaweed Salad
- 1 head kale
- 1 whole carrot
- 1 whole bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 medium handful whole dulse strips or 1/2 cup dulse flakes
- For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- For the Salad
- Chop up one whole head of kale as your salad base. Alternately, Asian greens like bok choy also work wonderfully in this salad.
- Prepare one medium handful of whole dulse by tearing into small pieces, optionally you can buy and add 1/2 cup of dulse flakes.
- Slice & dice those gorgeous red bell peppers!
- Grate 1 whole carrot.
- Toast one quarter cup of sesame seeds.
- Combine all ingredients into salad bowl and add toasted sesame seeds.
- Mix dressing together in a mason jar.
- Add dressing, massage in well.
Feel free to pin! 😉