Here are three ways to change up your yogurt game and add some savory toppings for savory yogurt three ways!
Y’all know I am obsessed with putting plain Greek yogurt on things. Or sour cream (= danger.) Or Tzatziki, or sauces, etc. So I got to thinkin’ – why not make the yogurt the highlight of the bowl and make the savory parts the topping?! Kind of like how cake should be a topping on a plate of frosting. But I digress…
Each bowl is full of protein, healthy fat, veggies, flavor, and probiotics! Plus, you can throw these together with what you have on hand – it’s all about the toppings!
For these I used plain Greek yogurt as the base. You can mix in seasonings to the base (lemon or lime juice, zest, and herbs) to start, then top with different vegetables, more herbs and spices. Even if you don’t have fresh citrus or herbs on hand, try either with dried versions. Like oatmeal, the possibilities are endless! These are a great way to use up leftovers and produce as well. Think of it as a savory yogurt dip.
Here are three ways to change up your yogurt game!
This would be great for leftover taco night – refried beans or meat would also be great on top. Start with a base of yogurt + lime juice + zest and add on toppings similar to what you’d put in a taco. On top, add beans, diced peppers, corn, and pickled jalapenos tossed with some juice + cumin + salt.
Smoked Salmon (duh!)
I love Smoked Salmon + cream cheese so why not pair it with a thick Greek yogurt, especially when you can add some fresh herbs like dill and parsley. You could also try this bowl with another smoked fish like trout. Start with a base of yogurt + lemon juice + zest + dill, then add on the salmon, parsley, and red pepper. You could also chop up the salmon and mix it into the bowl. Capers would also be a nice addition!
This combination would be a good use for any roasted vegetables (like broccoli!) The tahini is great to swirl into the yogurt and complements the roasted veggie flavor in a nice earthy way. You could also mix in a little hummus. Smoked paprika on top and a dash of seeds adds even more flavor.
Savory Yogurt Bowls
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon or lime juice plus zest
- 1-2 Tablespoons chopped fresh herbs or ¼ teaspoon dried herbs (cilantro, basil, parsley, dill)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup diced peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Pickled jalapenos
- Roasted corn canned or frozen works!
- Other options: Refried beans taco meat, shredded cheese
- Smoked Salmon
- 2 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons diced red pepper
- 1 teaspoon capers optional
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- Other options: Sliced radish sliced avocado, diced cucumber
- Cauliflower Chickpea
- 1/3 cup roasted cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Sprinkle of garlic powder paprika, sesame seeds and salt
- Other options: roasted broccoli garlic, roasted tomatoes, rosemary
- Mix the base ingredients together in a small bowl, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with all the other ingredients, finishing with herbs and any spices you’d like, mixing up textures with things like veggies, seeds and spreads. You can estimate the toppings and use what you have on hand, but I used the measurements listed above!
What flavor combos can you dream up? Have you tried this before?
More Creative Breakfasts: