I love burgers, meatballs and patties. They are such fun ways to combine different flavors and textures. These salmon patties do just that with a combo of canned salmon, quinoa, chia seeds, peppers and spices. They are a true protein powerhouse!!
I topped them off with a minty yogurt sauce made with lemon to brighten the flavors and add moisture. Enjoy these burgers on top of salad greens or in between two toasted buns with a schmear of sauce on top.
To start prep your peppers – I used both canned roasted red and a fresh green bell pepper, but mix and match as you like. Pickled or fresh jalapenos would add a great spice too!
The rice cooker is always my go-to for quinoa making. Totally hands off.
I used a 14 ounce can of wild Pink salmon from Whole Foods. Yes there is skin and bones in there, but if you just mash it all up you will never notice! The bones are soft and mashable and are not the kind of fish bone to fear getting stuck in your throat. Be brave friends!
Egg and chia seeds keep these patties together…
I used an ice cream scooper to ensure the patties would come out evenly and then pressed them down with my hands to shape them.
Bake them for 15 minutes at 375 degrees and then flip and bake for 15 more, until lightly browned on top and firm.
Mix yogurt sauce ingredients together and dollop on top.
Salmon Quinoa Burgers with Mint-Yogurt Sauce
These burgers are super easy to put together and they are baked so there's no fear of flipping!
- 14 ounce cans of wild salmon
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper (homemade or jarred), chopped
- 1/4 c chia seeds
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
For The Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 10 mint leaves, minced
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Prepare quinoa or use leftovers
- Open and drain salmon if necessary and place in large mixing bowl
- Add peppers and spices and mix well.
- Crack an egg into the mixture and mix well
- Add chia seeds and mix. Allow for the mixture to sit for a few minutes. Add more chia if mixture seems too wet.
- Grease a baking sheet. Using an ice cream scoop, create about a dozen patties and use clean, wet hands to press them down and shape into burgers.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until you can flip them without them crumbling. Flip and then allow to bake for 15 more minutes.
- Combine mint, yogurt, lemon, salt and pepper for a simple yogurt sauce and top patties with a dollop to serve.