Give basic baked oatmeal a tropical twist with pineapple rings, juicy cherries, and a sprinkle of brown sugar to caramelize on top. This Pineapple Upside-Down Baked Oatmeal is ready in just 30 minutes. This recipe is ideal to make ahead and reheat on weekdays or serve fresh out of the oven for brunch.
My New Favorite Baked Oatmeal: Pineapple Upside-Down Baked Oatmeal
You guys, I think this is my favorite baked oatmeal recipe yet! I know warm fruit can be polarizing, but am totally Team Warm Fruit. There is nothing like warm roasted pineapple. The brown sugar sprinkle on top gives it a bit of caramelization on top – it is divine!
Ingredients: Pineapple + Red Cherries
I used canned pineapple rings for ease and presentation. And there’s a silver lining: this baked oatmeal version is naturally sweeter than some of my other variations because the pineapple juice infuses all the way down into the bake. But you can use fresh pineapple too! Or little tidbits or chunks. The juicier the better.
How To Serve It
I used a small baking dish that gave me six perfect squares. This dish would be so pretty on a brunch table. Whip up some coconut cream to dollop on top! You could also turn it into little muffin cups, each with a cherry on top. Note the baking time might vary a little. I fed slices to my kids with the pineapples removed = more for me! The base is great for toddlers to pick up in pieces with their little hands.
The Recipe Is Simple
Mix dry, mix wet, mix wet into dry. Pour into baking dish. Top with fruit. Bake.
Pineapple Upside-Down Baked Oatmeal
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups milk can sub 1/2 cup light cream for a richer dish
- 6 pineapple rings from a can or freshly cut
- 6 cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined. Grease a small to medium sized baking dish or casserole dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour oat mixture in. Add pineapple rings and cherries.
- Sprinkle with additional brown sugar, if desired.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until center is set.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting.