Mazen loves noodles. I love nut butter. Matt loves soba noodles. So this recipe was born to make the whole family happy!
Matt has been coming home from work at about 5pm and taking Mazen to the park for a little post-nap playtime (Mazen has been taking crazy long naps these days!). This gives me a solid hour to make dinner and tidy up a bit.
I crank up my Michael Buble Pandora station…
…and pour a little wine. (Wine makes cooking SO much more fun!) This time is so precious and rare since having a baby. Also a great opportunity for me to start sharing some more new recipes!
At heart of this recipe are soba noodles.
These Japanese buckwheat noodles are a complete protein and taste delicious.
And they cook super fast – in just 4 minutes.
The vegetables I chose for this dish were snow peas and red pepper (cooked with a little garlic). But you could also use broccoli, bok choy, sprouts and more.
The peanut sauce I made is thick and a wonderful blend of sweet and salty. I would recommend a drippy peanut butter, like Trader Joes or Whole Foods brands, so mixing is easier.
Classic noodle flavors: rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce and ginger.
Plus brown sugar for sweetness!
Lastly peanuts are a crunchy garnish to finish the dish
These noodles can be served warm or chilled – your choice!
They are great for dinner (add tofu, shrimp or chicken for hearty appetites!) or lunch the next day.
- 1 9 ounce package of soba noodles or whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 cups snow peas
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 glove garlic
- Salt for pasta water
- 1/4 cup peanut butter drippy style is best
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 pinches ground ginger
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- Thinly slice red bell pepper and wash snow peas.
- Bring a big pot of water to boil and salt to season. Cook soba noodles according to the package directions.
- Heat a skillet to medium high and add cooking oil to saute the pepper and snow peas, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute about 2 more minutes.
- In a mason jar, combine peanut butter, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and brown sugar. Shake to combine.
- Toss noodles and veggies with sauce.
- Chop peanuts and add to bowls as garnish.