Karen and I had a lot of fun cooking while she stayed with us! We were brainstorming a meal plan one morning and stumbled upon this gorgeous recipe for Mediterranean Nachos. Kristy’s version is vegan and uses tofu as feta cheese and pita as the base. Karen and I adapted the recipe into our own by using both feta and tofu (two is better than one!) and layered a bunch of Mediterranean flavors onto crunchy sea salt pita chips.
This recipe is so easy and would make the perfect party platter for the Super Bowl!
To begin, cube your tofu and toss it with olive oil and Italian seasoning
Heat a skillet to medium high and saute tofu for 5-7 minutes, until it is brown on the edges.
Meanwhile, mix chopped roasted red peppers into plain hummus. Of course you could make your own, but I love the Cava brand hummus so this was an easier solution!
Prep the other ingredients – chop chop chop!
Mix the chopped, drained artichokes and sliced cucumber with a little red wine vinegar and more Italian seasoning.
Then the fun happens – spread your pita chips out on a baking sheet (or other big platter!) and spread out your hummus in dollops all around. We used about 3/4 of a bag of Whole Foods’ sea salt pita chips.
Then begin to layer on the other ingredients –
Artichokes + cucs
And feta (the best part!)
And then, my friends, dig in!!
- 12 ounces pita chips about 3/4 pound
- 1 block tofu extra firm, chopped into cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp Italian seasoning divided
- 1.5 cups hummus
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup mixed olives chopped
- 1 can artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1/2 cucumber peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 8 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- 1 small jar capers drained
- Toss tofu with olive oil and 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Heat a skillet to medium high and saute tofu for 5-7 minutes, until brown.
- Spread pita chips out on a sheet pan.
- Mix hummus with roasted red peppers. Your choice if you want to dirty food processor or just hand mix!
- Spread hummus over pita chips.
- Top with tofu followed by tomatoes and olives.
- Mix artichokes and cucumber with red wine vinegar and final 1/2 tsp of seasoning. Add to sheet pan.
- Spread on feta cheese and capers.
- Enjoy with fingers or a fork!