We are having a Thanksgiving-themed party today on KERF! Consider this a recipe round-up, love language gift guide, and Black Friday shopping plan all wrapped up with a pretty bow. This post contains affiliate links.
Foods For Thanksgiving Weekend
Since many of us aren’t doing big Thanksgivings with all the extended family this year, maybe your meal will look a little different. Here are a few recipes to try!
- Start the day with Sheet Pan Pancakes and use cookie cutters to make turkeys!
- I am Team Marshmallows, but if you’re not, check out this Savory Sweet Potato Casserole from Fannetastic Food
- Julie’s Pumpkin Icebox Cake has been calling my name for weeks!! Good thing I have pumpkin on hand…
- I’m going to attempt a Red, White, Green holiday themed cheese board for us to share. I’m thinking green olives, peppers, grapes, herbs. Red pom arils, apples, berries, jam. White cheeses (all the cheeses!) and maybe a dip for veggies.
- I gotta make cranberry sauce so I can have Cranberry Sauce Smoothies!
- Cocktail lovers will want to use up cranberries in Brittany’s Cranberry Lime Cocktail
- This salad by my friend Leanne is fab – the creamy dressing with cinnamon and maple is EPIC!
Love Language Gift Guide
The usual gift swaps aren’t as magical if we’re doing them over Zoom. And for many folks this year has caused a lot of financial stress.
Here are some gift ideas that focus on the five love languages where bringing joy is top of mind. Use this love language gift guide to match the gift to the person you love!
Words Of Affirmation Gifts
- Mail a letter – never underestimate a hand written note!
- Gift a journal or note cards from your local gift shop
- Personalize a gift with words like these beautiful word necklaces from Etsy
- Give a donation in their honor
- And for those with a sense of humor, these spoons!!
Acts of Service Gifts
Actions speak louder than words!
- Bake or send dog treats to your dog-loving friend
- Send meals or a gift card via Blue Apron or if you’re a local use Plenty Cville instead!
- Drop off coffee on a doorstep or send a gift card to a local shop “virtual coffee date” style
- Bake cookies and mail or deliver singing carols from the yard
- Rake the leaves of your older neighbor (or have your 8 year old use the leaf blower!!)
My love language is not gifts! But gifty people LOVE to receive something in the mail that is perfectly suited and wrapped just for them.
- My sister got me a gift card to this shop for my bday. Love the Poppy choker I got!
- Clean wine in a pretty gift box
- Self care gifts to pamper them (obvi from Beautycounter 🙂 )
- The Always Pan from From Our Place is a great all-purpose + useful gift, especially since many people are cooking at home more (get it $50 off with the code SUPERSALE)
- Handmade gifts – ornaments made by kids, knitting, artwork – let your talents (or your kids’ talents) shine
- Pretty disposable plates or napkins for social distance meetups
Quality Time Gifts
QT IS one of my languages!
- Board games: Chickapig and Splendor are my favorites these days. And Chickapiglets for the kiddos!
- Virtual spa day – pencil in time in the calendar where you can Facetime, do masks, and drink wine. Send the products in advance!
- Accessories or gear for those who love to be outside – camping, hiking, etc.
- Yard decor like a fire pit or corn hole set. For all those social distanced hangouts!
- A new watch (quality TIME – get it!) or any kind of tech that you can use to Facetime (TIME!)
- Stemless wine glass to bring to outdoor hangouts (love my Swig) with some wine to go with them
Physical Touch Gifts
While physical touch is hard during a pandemic, think about things that are warm, cozy, and snuggly!
- Bombas socks
- Natural candles in a scent that reminds them of you
- Sheets or a cozy throw they wouldn’t buy for themselves
- A fuzzy Pottery Barn robe – I love mine – or slippers
What I’m Shopping For Black Friday Weekend
I do not get over excited about Black Friday, but at the same time I do love a good deal. If I know I’m going to be buying something in the next 6 months anyways, I might as well stock up!
Here are the sales I have my eye on:
I love their holiday cards and need to order ours! They have a 15-20% promo going on depending on what kind of paper you choose.
Let’s support our local restaurants as best we can during this cold, long winter so we can dine outside all summer of 2021. I love to give gifts of experiences and I am always happy to receive gift certificates for meals too!
I’m shopping with myself If you know you’ll use something within the next six months, stock up now. Think ahead to summer and sunscreen and get that 15% off now.
Of course I have my eye on my favorite athleisure store. Here’s what’s on my wish list to try on the next time I’m there (I have a gift card!) Note the sweatshirt theme : ) I love all the jewel tones they have in their lines these days.
- Coaster Luxe Sweatshirt
- Purana Wrap Sweatshirt
- Mindset Sweatshirt
- Cloudlight Top
- Cozy Karma Pullover / Zip Hoodie / Dress
- Momentum Top
Blue Apron‘s Black Friday special is $80 off for first time customers. I always appreciate free food and time saved!
Catch Sitka is offering 25% off their wild-caught Alaskan seafood, plus free smoked salmon and free shipping – their deepest discount of the year. Stock the freezer now and enjoy all winter.
We’re sponsoring a family this year, and I’m excited to take the boys to our local toy store to help choose gifts. Whether you can give time or money, this is a year to focus inward.