This might be one of my favorite recipes I’ve ever made! I can’t take all the credit – one of my friends shared the technique on our mom’s group Facebook page. I knew upon her description that I had to take my own stab at it!
The best part about this “casserole” layered with beans, veggies and chicken is its versatility. You can put any vegetable or bean under the chicken and it will turn out delicious every time. As the chicken cooks it drips flavor and seasons everything down under. Moreover, you can assemble this in the morning and bake it off when the baby is crawling underfoot and you just want dinner to be ready already!
Start by choosing the beans you’d like to use. I used navy and garbanzo, but you could try black beans, great northerns, pintos, giant beans, lima beans – anything. You can use canned or about 3 cups of freshly cooked too.
Herb options are also completely up to you. I chose oregano and basil from our garden, but rosemary would have been nice too!
Mix beans, herbs and spices together in the casserole dish
Plus green beans. I had frozen on hand, but you can also use fresh – or any other veggies you like.
Add your chicken on top. We had boneless/skinless, but bone-in and skin-on will work – as will breasts. (Check doneness with a meat thermometer if you use thicker pieces like bone-in breasts)
Season with more salt and pepper
And rub with olive oil. I added some optional Garlic Gold nuggets on top too.
Ready to go in!
45 minutes later Matt and I couldn’t wait to dig in
We served this with Spinach Feta rolls on the side.
Easy Chicken and Bean Bake
Yield 4-6 Servings
This "casserole" couldn't be easier. Simply layer beans, herbs and veggies in the bottom of a baking dish, top with chicken and cook until brown and crispy. Prep ahead to make dinnertime a breeze.
- 2 cans of beans of your choice, like navy beans and garbanzo beans, or use 3 cups of cooked beans
- 1 cup green beans, frozen or fresh
- 2 tsp chopped fresh herbs, like oregano and basil
- 1/2 tsp each of kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs, bone in or bone out, skinless or skin on
- Start by prepping ingredients - drain and rinse beans, chop herbs, mince garlic
- Mix beans, herbs, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper on the bottom of a casserole dish
- Add thighs on top
- Drizzle thighs with olive oil and season with additional salt and pepper
- Bake in 425* oven for 45 minutes for skinless/boneless and 1 hour for bone-in/skin on chicken.
I can’t wait to make another twist on this soon: Sun-dried tomatoes? Olives? Peas? Kale? Dill and lemon? Endless options for customization!