I’m bringing back a KERF classic today – the chicken and bean bake! This casserole features three kinds of beans (two canned, one fresh) plus fresh herbs and tasty chicken all baked into one dish.
This might be one of my favorite recipes I’ve ever made! I made this for our family recently and updated the photos. It’s one of my easiest, crowd-pleasing recipes. I love any recipe that is both make-ahead friendly and an all-in-one dish. This casserole-style chicken bake checks all the boxes!
Chicken and Bean Bake
The best part about this “casserole” layered with beans, veggies and chicken is its versatility. You can put any vegetable or bean under the chicken and it will turn out delicious every time. As the chicken cooks it drips flavor and seasons everything down under. Moreover, you can assemble this in the morning and bake it off when the baby is crawling underfoot and you just want dinner to be ready already!
Start by choosing the beans you’d like to use. I used navy and garbanzo, but you could try black beans, great northerns, pintos, giant beans, lima beans – anything. You can use canned or about 3 cups of freshly cooked too. I actually made my navy beans in the Instant Pot the day before. Just cover dried beans with an inch of water and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. My chickpeas were from a can! And our fresh beans from the market.
Herb options are also completely up to you. I chose thyme and basil from our garden, but rosemary would have been nice too!
Mix beans and herbs together in the casserole dish along with salt, pepper, olive oil, one lemon, and garlic. I am really into zesting garlic these days!
Give everything a stir
Plus green beans. You can use frozen cut green beans as well! Or sub in any kind of similar green veggie.
We used bone-in, skin on thighs seasoned generously with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes on top. These were big thighs so we had four, but you could easily fit six small ones or boneless skinless too. Note that thinner, boneless thighs would cook a little faster and reduce cooking time. Check doneness with a meat thermometer around the 45 minute mark.
Bake at 425 degrees for one hour
Or until chicken is done per a meat thermometer and golden brown on top!
This all-in-one recipe has protein, starchy beans, vegetables and plenty of flavor, but some might like a side of rice or a roll!
Easy Chicken and Bean Bake
- 2 cans of beans of your choice like navy beans and garbanzo beans, or use 3 cups of cooked beans
- 12 ounces green beans frozen or fresh
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs like thyme and basil
- 1 lemon zested and cut
- 1 tsp each of kosher salt and black pepper layered and mixed
- 1-2 tsp fresh garlic zested
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 chicken thighs bone in or bone out, skinless or skin on
- Start by prepping ingredients - drain and rinse beans, chop herbs, mince garlic
- Mix beans, herbs, lemon, garlic, some olive oil, salt and pepper on the bottom of a casserole dish. Stir to combine.
- Add thighs on top.
- Drizzle thighs with olive oil and season with additional salt and pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Bake in 425* oven for 45 minutes for skinless/boneless and 1 hour for bone-in/skin on chicken.
I can’t wait to make another twist on this soon: Sun-dried tomatoes? Olives? Peas? Kale? Endless options for customization!