I’m sharing the three clean Beautycounter foundation products I use for a fresh, even face. What’s the difference between Dew Skin and Skin Twin? I share the details and how I use both products in this post.
Complexion coverage: Foundation 101
One of the most frequently asked questions I get when someone is ordering a Flawless in Five makeup set, or is just wanting to start with the basics of Beautycounter’s makeup, is what is the difference between Dew Skin and Skin Twin?
I personally use both products, but they are very different, and I’ll tell you why and when you might like to wear one versus the other.
Foundation is step 1 of my makeup routine
Both products provide a solid foundation for a natural look. Think of them as the base, or step #1, and then complete your look as with wish by adding blush, bronzer, shadow, and the like.
You might be thinking, “But Kath – do you really even wear much makeup?” In fact, I do!
Between Dew Skin and Skin Twin (plus the Creamy Concealer), I use all three of these products every week.
If a product is seeping into my skin for upwards of 12-14 hours per day, I want to know that it’s safe in doing so. Beautycounter’s color cosmetics are extensively screened and tested for heavy metals and exclude more than 1,800 questionable ingredients.
Complexion coverage is what we’re talking about today, let’s dive in…
Beautycounter Foundation: What I Wear When
Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer: The Daily-Go To
This is what I wear most days when I’m working from home, walking to and from preschool, and dressed in athleisure. I put it on first thing in the morning as a hydration + SPF bridge until I take my post-workout shower, usually around lunchtime.
I love that it has the SPF built in for when I’m walking to school or popping outside for a quick errand.
The coverage is very sheer. Meaning if you have sun-kissed freckles, they are still going to show through. That said, it does even your skin tone and provide a pretty glow plus hydration. The six different shades are quite forgiving, but I usually wear shade Light. (I can go a step up and down depending on the time of year.)
- Coverage: sheer & glowy with non-nano zinc SPF 20 protection
- Finish: radiant & dewy
- Results: it increases the appearance of firmness and elasticity over time thanks to the infusion of black currant seed oil, peony root extract, and vitamin C
- Bonus: formulated to protect against UVA, UVB, and blue light rays
^^ Dew Skin (top) vs. Skin Twin (bottom) ^^
Skin Twin Featherweight Foundation: The Flawless Finish
While I wear Skin Twin less frequently, I always love it when I do: typically for date night, dressy occasions, being “camera ready” for a recording, or get-togethers with girlfriends. I wear shade 230 in the winter and 310 in the summer for reference.
This is the best foundation I have ever used because it really melts into skin.
There is something magical about the way it melts into skin and doesn’t leave you cakey or flakey. Skin Twin has 10x more hyaluronic acid than a typical foundation, making it uber hydrating. The fragrance-free formula delivers skincare benefits plus natural makeup coverage, so it evens appearance from first use—and smoother, healthier-looking skin with each application.
I most often use my fingers to apply it and then lightly blend with our Better Blender.
- Coverage: light to medium with weightless, all-day wear
- Finish: natural with a second-skin finish
- Results: 97% said skin looked plump; 91% said the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles was diminished
- Bonus: packaging Skin Twin in glass avoids an estimated 235,000 plastic tubes from – sustainability win!
- Like a more matte look? Set your makeup with the Mattifying Powder.
Skin Twin Creamy Concealer: The Complexion Corrector
NOTE: The Beautycounter concealer is on hiatus while they fix a wand issue, but I had stocked up. I’ve heard a great alternative is the ILIA concealer. It will be back later this spring 2022!
Concealers can be so hard to get right, and the Skin Twin Creamy Concealer is so good. It was completely reformulated last year!
A little product goes a long way and immediately conceals the appearance of undereye circles, dark spots, and imperfections. I use the concealer with both Dew Skin and Skin Twin and it blends seamlessly with the Better Blender tip.
Light 1 is my preferred shade for covering any dark spots, redness, or blemishes. Plus, it doesn’t crease or settle into fine lines like many concealers do. (A problem that seems to come with age!)
- Coverage: provides color-true medium-to-full coverage, courtesy of avocado butter-coated pigments; 13 shades to match our Skin Twin Foundation ranges
- Finish: undetectably conceals and seamlessly blends for a weightless, breathable, natural finish
- Results: plant-derived knotgrass extract is known to visibly reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and boost skin smoothness
- Bonus: doe-foot applicator wand is easy to use
How To Use Creamy Concealer
For Under Eyes: Use the flat side of the applicator to dot formula under eyes. Using your ring finger or a damp Better Blender sponge, gently pat concealer into skin, blending outwards for a seamless, even finish. Build to desired coverage level.
- Pro Tip: Go a shade or two lighter than your skin tone to brighten undereye area.
- Pro Tip: For a matte finish, add a light layer of Mattifying Powder on top once concealer has fully dried.
For Blemishes: Using the tip of the applicator, place a dot of concealer over the area you want to perfect. Gently dab with your ring finger or Better Blender until flawlessly blended.
- Pro Tip: Select the shade that is closest to your natural skin tone to best conceal.
Choose Your Foundation Shade
Try the shade finder on the website, and I am always here to help, too!
Promo Code for 20% off
If you’re new to Beautycounter, use the code CLEANFORALL20 to get 20% off your order!
You may also enjoy: