This post is sponsored by the Hass Avocado Board
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the level of enthusiasm we all should be embracing when enjoying avocados! Nom!
Smashed avocados were one of Mazen’s very first foods, and they continue to be a staple in our house, from slices on a plate to yogamole. I consider avocados to be one of the world’s most nutritious and delicious foods. This paper just published named them one of the best first foods for babies. They contain good-for-you monounsaturated fats, plus they are a good source of fiber, folate, and contain potassium, vitamin E, and vitamin C. Raise your (little) hand if that makes you happy!
To celebrate our love for avocados, Mazen and I made these pita pizzas. He loves anything in pizza form, and these are great for avocado lovers of all ages.
The ingredients include an assortment of fresh things like sprouts, tomato, and fresh oregano. Feel free to tweak the ingredients to what you have on hand.
I used prepared pesto (an artichoke pesto!) as the sauce, but you can also just brush the pitas with olive oil and some dried herbs. Top each pita with a heaped tablespoon of sauce, and a tomato slice.
Followed by a generous amount of shredded cheese!
Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until pitas are toasted and cheese is melted.
Slice the avocado and arrange onto pitas
And top with sprouts and oregano.
Finally, dollops of Greek yogurt (or sour cream if you fancy) add the perfect cool touch. Salt and pepper to taste!
Avocado Pita Pizzas
- 4 six-inch pitas
- 1 heirloom tomato
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1 heaping cup of shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup sprouts
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange pitas on a sheet pan. Use a rack if you have one for even toasting.
- Spread one heaping tablespoon of pesto on each pita.
- Slice tomato thinly and put one big slice on each pita.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over pitas.
- Bake for 8 minutes, until pitas are toasted and cheese is melted.
- Top with sliced avocado, sprouts, and oregano.
- Dollop with Greek yogurt
Thanks to the Hass Avocado Board for sponsoring this post.