This recipe for oatmeal snack bars is one of KERF’s most highly visited posts of all time, so I took that base and tweaked it around with fun ingredients like chia seeds, chocolate chips, coconut, and slivered almonds. This post is sponsored by The Quaker Oats Company
You know you have something good when it has stood the test of time. There are so many different diets out there that claim to work magic, but there is one that holds true in my household: eat real. The Quaker Oats Company is celebrating 140 years of nutritious, delicious oats this year, and I am singing its praises yet again!
Truly a food that our grandparents ate, Quaker has been the leader in oats for well over a century. Nowadays oats are more popular than ever, and trends like overnight oats, smoothie bowls, and savory oatmeal keep them going as a recipe ingredient staple.
Quaker was the first to make oats available for human consumption, the first to obtain a registered trademark for a breakfast cereal (1877), the first to feature a recipe on a package (1866), and the first to use a round canister (1915), and on the nutrition front, they made the first food-specific heart health claim (1997).
Best Oatmeal Snack Bars Recipe
I was charged to champion a classic recipe and give it a current spin. This recipe for oatmeal snack bars is one of KERF’s most highly visited posts of all time, so I took that base and tweaked it around with fun ingredients like chia seeds, chocolate chips, coconut, and slivered almonds. Oats are a great ingredient to add to any recipe because they are 100% whole grain.
I think this is one of my most popular recipes because it’s so simple — and delicious: mix wet, mix dry, combine, bake! These bars are also so versatile — have them for breakfast, as a snack, with lunch, as dessert, etc. I used a chia and milk gel in place of egg to give them a bit more texture.
They freeze well and are best heated up a bit in the microwave so the chocolate chips melt a little! Note: they are soft like a baked good and not crunchy like a granola bar.
Chocolate Coconut Almond Snack Bars
- ¾ cup Quaker Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp 15g slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1.5 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1.5 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix chia seeds with milk and set aside for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chia seeds form a gel.
- Combine chia gel, bananas, and almond butter and stir well.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Grease a 6x9 inch baking dish with non-stick product of choice.
- Press bars into dish, ensuring all corners are set.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until firm and no longer wet in the middle.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting bars and carefully removing from baking dish.
Thanks to Quaker Oats for sponsoring this post!