While I made my way to the gym, this chef prepared a delicious dinner!
Here is he looking very pleased with himself (and he should be – it was very tasty!!)
Glazed Whole Chicken, Pumpkin Spiced Kale, Roasted Butternut Squash
The chef is very much into reductions: three for three nights in a row!! See notes below on his mix.
Chef’s Notes: Chicken
- Cut the whole chicken into breasts, thighs, drums, and wings
- Season with salt and herb rub and let sit for 3 hours
- Preheat oven to 350
- Sear the chicken on the skin side for 3 min in a stainless steel pan, then flip and sear for 1 more min
- Pour 4-5oz of beer in the pan, and then put the entire pan in the oven
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until internal temp hits 165*
- When chicken is done, pour the liquid from the chicken into a separate sauce pan and bring to a boil
- Reduce the sauce until thick and syrupy, and then pour over the chicken at serving time
[KERF NOTE: The reduction was REALLY salty! And look how small this breast was! That’s a traditional local chicken for you. (And my thumb is not fungused – that’s gold polish!)]
Chef’s Notes: Kale
- Steam for about 5 mins, until tender but not mushy
- Put in a bowl, poured a mixture of EVOO, pumpkin balsamic, and sea salt to taste (maybe a tsp. of each, a little more vinegar)
[KERF NOTE: That would be the new Boston Olive Oil pumpkin balsamic and it rocked!!]
Chef’s Notes: Squash
- Slice a small butternut squash lengthwise and remove the seeds
- Cut into half-moon discs
- Put in a bowl and then add 2T melted coconut butter, 1t kosher salt, a dash of cinnamon and fresh grated nutmeg
- Place on a sheet pan and bake at 400* for 40 minutes, flipping once in the middle
[KERF NOTE: I love squash. I ate the skin. Hope my intestines are OK with that!!]
I biked to the gym around 5 when the sun was just setting and did a nice round-the-world. Total indoor jungle gym tonight! A short circuit through the Freemotion equipment, 20 minutes on the bike next to Karen, who I stumbled upon, another short circuit with free weights, 20 minutes on the Stairmaster, 5 minutes of abs and foam rolling. Nice! Biked on home in the dark, which was scary despite my lights and defensive driving. I need to go back to daytime workouts…
In other news….
WE SIGNED OUR GREAT HARVEST LEASE TODAY!!!!!!
We have a location. [Still feel weird writing the address on the blog. Give me a week. We’re moving onward with plans!! HOPING to be open for business in April. Lots to do in the meantime.
I finished Dragon Tattoo last night. It was good! But I need an uplifting book to follow before I start in on #2 in the series (which I am going to read). I also want to watch the Swedish movie! Maybe I’ll do that tonight with a big mug of tea. Just ate a Biscoff to set the mood!