Carrot, Mango, Coconut, Pecan “Carrot Cake” Oatmeal
Liz shared this creative concoction in the comments the other day and I knew it would be a winner! Like any carrot cake, the star was the “icing.” Greek yogurt mixed with maple syrup….mmmmmmmm! I got a little bit in every bite.
Combine in a saucepan:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup skim milk (or other milky substance)
- 1/2 cup water
- 50 grams of shredded carrot (about half of a SMALL carrot – maybe 1/4 a cup?)
- Half a mango, diced (could also use pineapple, as Liz suggested)
- Pinch of salt
Turn heat to medium and stir occasionally until mixture comes almost to a boil and most of the liquid is absorbed, which takes about 5-7 minutes. When oats are done, stir in
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
While oats are cooking:
- Make “icing” by blending 1 oz (about 2 tbsp) of non-fat plain greek yogurt with 1 tsp maple syrup.
- Toast about 1 tbsp chopped pecans in the microwave.
- Pour oats into bowl.
- Top with 1 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut (you could use sweetened, but I’d use a little bit less if so)
- Sprinkle on pecans.
- Drizzle icing on top…..
Each bowl was about 450 kcal, 9 grams fiber and 18 grams of protein. You could cut it down a bit by using less pecans, omiting the tsp of brown sugar and halving the mango/pineapple amount.
It was SO GOOD. And very filling too! You could taste the carrot, but in a good carrot-cake way and not in a vegetable way. Use a little less if you’re worried about veggies for breakfast
From above with coffee -
This breakfast was about 480 kcal, 9 grams fiber, and 22 grams protein.
I’ve got a LONG list of things to do today - studying, assignments, grocery shopping, chores, Davidson game, dinner – a workout in there somewhere?