- 1 pound greens (any kind or a mix), cleaned and trimmed
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 2/3 can butternut squash puree (you could also make from a whole squash or try pumpkin)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, divided 2:2 tbsp
- Salt + pepper, red pepper flakes, 2 cloves garlic + nutmeg to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Feta or goat cheese for garnish
- 2 servings cooked whole wheat pasta
- Get pasta cooking.
- Sautee mushrooms in olive oil about 5 minutes, until soft
- Add bag of greens, 2 tbsp vegetable broth, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and garlic and cook until greens are tender, about 5 more minutes.
- In another pan, heat 2/3 can (about a cup) of butternut squash with the remaining broth and a generous pinch of nutmeg.
- Put half of the greens (leaving most of the shrooms) in a blender with the squash and puree until smooth. Add more broth if needed. Return to pan.
- Stir in 1/2 a cup of cheese (more if you’re hungry!)
Makes about 2 cups of sauce. Each of our bowls had 1 cup cooked elbow noodles, ~3/4 cup sauce and another half cup of greens + shrooms saute. Garnished with feta. We had about half a cup of sauce leftover.