This post is sponsored by the Blueberry Council
Frozen berries are always a staple in my freezer. Not only are they super convenient to put into everything from smoothies to oatmeal to muffins, but they are super foods as well. Flash freezing preserves most of the nutrition, and you can get a taste of the perfect summer berry all year round.
Frozen blueberries contain the same vitamins and minerals as fresh blueberries. They are a good source of fiber, contain vitamin C (3.9 mg per cup) and are only 80 calories per cup. Plus, they’re naturally low in fat and sodium. Blueberries are one of the fruits highest in the flavonoid anthocyanin, the pigment that makes blueberries blue! Eat them up!
I’ve partnered with the Blueberry Council for this post to showcase a recipe that uses blueberries directly from the freezer. There’s no need to thaw them at all – just stir them into these muffins and you have a breakfast or snack bursting with warm blueberry cobbler flavor.
I used whole wheat flour and oats to boost the nutrition, and pecans for that autumn touch. While this recipe does call for good old fashioned butter, I added some applesauce to lighten it a bit.
Begin by mixing the flour, oats, cinnamon, and baking powder together in a big bowl.
Then in a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, butter, milk, and applesauce.
Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold to mix evenly.
And then stir in blueberries and pecans.
You can have mini or standard sized muffins depending on your pan and preference.
I did both!
For mini muffins, bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. For standard muffins, bake for 30-35 minutes.
You can even re-freeze this to thaw out for busy weekday mornings : )
Whole Wheat Blueberry Cobbler Muffins
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick salted butter very well softened
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep muffin tins with liners or grease with butter or oil.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, butter, milk, and applesauce.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir well to combine.
- Stir in blueberries and pecans.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, using heaping tablespoons for the mini muffins or filling to the brim for standard muffins.
- Bake mini muffins for 20-25 minutes, until tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Bake standard muffins for 30-35 minutes.
Thanks to the Blueberry Council for sponsoring this post! Check out a bunch of other recipes to make with frozen blueberries at the new Goodness Frozen website.