I loooooove any kind of salty sweet combo. Salted Caramel ice cream is one of my top flavor choices, and when I am shopping for chocolate bars I always look for the salted almond/hazelnut/caramel blends. Thomas loves a little something sweet after dinner and the salted almond dark chocolate bars we’ve been buying are costing us a fortune per ounce, so I decided to surprise him with a batch of homemade chocolate bark. Of course, I’ve been consuming my share too ; )
Before enjoying the bark, consume a big green salad to rev the appetite for chocolate. I had this one for lunch yesterday — kale Caesar with spinach, avocado, manchego and chicken. *Heart eyes*
This bark is, as the title suggests, on the salty side. You can adjust the recipe to your taste! It’s also super simple to make. I used the microwave for minimal time, but you can also use a double boiler.
Begin by roasting your almonds in the toaster or conventional oven. Do not take your eye off of them! When they are lightly brown and fragrant, remove from the heat and chop.
Meanwhile, combine coconut oil and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high in 30 second intervals until fully melted. Mine took three rounds to get there.
Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper and pour the chocolate on top, forming the general shape of a square. You want the bark to be thin, but not so thin that it can’t hold an almond. Think about the thickness of a fruit leather.
Sprinkle over the almonds — I used about 1/3 cup.
Then the salt! I used this nice Carolina Flake Salt for ultimate texture.
Don’t try this with table salt — you need something flakey.
Put the whole pan into the freezer for 30 minutes, until hardened.
Don’t forget to lick the bowl! No chocolate left behind.
Once chilled, remove it and let come to room temp for a few minutes before moving the parchment to a cutting board and cutting into the shape of your choice.
I cut mine into big and small pieces so that I have more options when the chocolate craving hits : )
Super Salted Almond Bark
Super Salted Almond Bark
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips or baking chocolate chopped up
- 1/3 cup whole almonds (you might use a little more or less)
- ~1 tablespoon flakey sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Toast almonds in a toaster oven or regular oven for about 5 minutes at 400 degrees. Keep an eye on them so they do not burn! Chop into small pieces.
- Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Spoon coconut oil into a microwave-safe bowl and top with chocolate chips. Microwave in 30 second intervals on high, stirring in between. Mine took 3 rounds to melt completely.
- Pour chocolate out onto parchment paper and spread into a large square.
- Sprinkle on as many almonds as you’d like.
- Sprinkle on salt to your taste.
- Chill in freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Allow to come to room temp and cut into squares, triangles, dodecahedrons, etc.
- Store in the fridge or freezer for super crunchy chocolate bark!