I rallied this afternoon and eventually did go for a walk – a longer walk than anticipated! Sarah Smart came over for a visit and we walked downtown together. She was on her way to get her nails done with a Groupon and we had a time walking all around finding the salon! I ran a few errands and took the long way home. Couldn’t have done it without icy water in my bag!
While it wasn’t too hot for walking, it was definitely too hot for running, but Matt came home to run anyways! I insisted he wear the camelbak of ice water and he is now very glad he took my advice!
While he ran, I made dinner
For dinner tonight I had plans to cook a bunch of veggies together into a hash of sorts. But one look at this okra had me craving our Better Than Fried Okra recipe!
This requires cutting the pods into bite-size pieces and dunking them into egg and milk batter
Followed by cornmeal spiked with salt, pepper and smoked paprika
And then bake for 35 minutes at 400*
And you’ll have good ole Southern “fried” okra
I recommend a dunk in ketchup!
Better Than Fried Okra
- Fresh okra – about a pint of pods.
- 1-2 eggs, depending on how much you’re making
- Course ground cornmeal – enough to roll the okra around in. Maybe start with a cup? Add more if you need more.
- Kosher salt to taste – perhaps a tsp
- Seasonings of your choice – we like creole, cayenne, smoked paprika or herbs.
- Okra comes in pods, which you’ll want to cut into bite-sized pieces.
- They have a gooey, slimy inside, so don’t worry you got a bad one. It’s great for thickening dishes!
- Dip those in a mixture of egg
- And then roll them into some cornmeal (blue or yellow) mixed with salt and seasonings
- Spread onto a baking sheet topped with a wire rack (you can do this without the rack, but it lets more air flow and more even cooking)
- And bake at 400* for about 30 minutes, until they start to crisp and brown.
On the side I made the hash with green beans, lots of frozen lima beans and corn, fresh tomatoes and Creole seasoning
Served with some zucchini bread on the side. Early dessert!
I didn’t quite finish all of this, but I got most of it in!
We are working on a few fun porch projects in anticipation of a party we’re having this weekend! After we finish, it’s book time. I’m reading The History Of Love for book club, plus Bradley Method and still 50 Shades Of Grey #3 when I’m in the mood to not think too hard : )