Soooo Kelsey called this afternoon and wanted to know if she could come look at my restaurant layout. I said sure and invited her to join us for Aztec soup and cornbread. Next thing we know we’re drinking wine and she’s spending the night!!
I kept it cool with about 5oz – 4 to start and a splash with dinner. Check out this awesome bottle! It was a Syrah and Cab blend from TJ’s and was SOOO juicy and delicious.
I had a bit of dried fruit earlier in the afternoon to tide my hunger. It was just barely there and I knew we’d have a while until dinner –
On the menu: Happy Herbivore’s Aztec Soup!
And Trader Joe’s Cornbread Mix! We got this as a Christmas present and it did not disappoint!
It called for half a cup of oil – no thanks! So I halved that to 1/4 a cup of canola oil and added 1 cup of 1% milk instead. Worked perfectly! The cornbread was super sweet – almost cake like – and perfectly browned.
My slice drizzled with honey –
The soup was great too!! I pretty much stuck to the original recipe, but made a few changes. My recipe included:
- 2 cups frozen/thawed corn
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Amaranth, cooked in 1.5 cups water (I accidentally doubled the amount of grain – I had planned to save the rest to mix with oatmeal but forgot and just put it all in!)
- 1 can Rotel (instead of green chiles)
- About a cup (vs. half a cup) of these cool local beans from the Asheville Farmer’s Market that we cooked from scratch earlier today ——————>
- 1 cup plain soy milk (Kelsey’s contribution)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp kosher salt (<——– this recipe very much needed salt!!! After the salt and maple, it all came together)
- Sprinkle pepper
- Avocado + cilantro for garnish
The cornbread was so good I went back for another nibble 😉 Then we put it in the freezer before we all started in on more!
- Double blogging
- Kelsey’s first House Hunters
- 8 hours of sleep
- Double morning yoga
- Double oatmeal (a new mix is planned!)
- Double blogging
- Carpooling without the first leg