Long time, no recipe! I’m working on that : )
This was one of those recipes that I dreamed up on the spot, hence the lack of planning as usual. It was the end to a long weekend, and I had a pack of corn tortillas in our fridge that needed to be used up, along with a bottle of enchilada sauce and lots of cheese. I morphed them into these tostadas for dinner in no time.
Refried beans are something I always keep in my pantry. I like this kind from Whole Foods that already has a touch of chili and lime flavor. Mazen likes them by the spoonful!
After preheating the tortillas for a few minutes, I spread about 1/4 cup of beans onto each one. Next I layered on the green peppers and jalapenos and finally a drizzle of enchilada sauce.
Then came the best part : )
Cheese makes it all good!
After 10 minutes of melting in the oven they were ready to serve –
These might look difficult to eat, but your options are endless.
I had originally thought a knife + spoon and also pondered picking it up for a flat bite, but we ended up folding them like a hard taco shell and crunching through! They did not get so crispy that they cracked at first bite (like regular hard taco shells do) but they were way more supportive and easier to eat than a soft taco. A nice blend of the two!
Now if only I had had some cilantro and avocado on hand!
Quick + Easy Tostadas
Yield 2 Servings
This tostadas come together in minutes and make for a festive weeknight dinner.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 cup refried beans (or mashed beans)
- 1 bell pepper, sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce or salsa
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos
- 1 1/3 cup Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups fresh greens
- Yogurt/sour cream, avocado, cilantro and salsa for serving
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Bake tortillas for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with refried beans (1/4 cup per tostada), green pepper slices, sauce or salsa (1 tbsp each), jalapenos (a few on each) and cheese (1/3 cup each).
- Bake for 10 minutes more.
- Top with greens and all the Mexican fixins you like!
For all you nutrition buffs, here’s the breakdown per serving of 2 tostadas (including yogurt garnish):
Calories 534 // Protein 29g // Fat 26g // Carbohydrates 46g // Fiber 11g // Sugar 5g