I finally feel caught up from my trip! Laundry and linens are clean. House is back together. Paperwork has been completed and filed. One freelance project has been turned in. Bakery to-do list keeps growing!
How many of you thought this fennel was onion!?
While I worked from home today, though, I was able to work on dinner! Bit by bit I got veggies roasting and lentils cooking so when dinnertime came I just had to assemble and serve.
Roasted butternut squash – coated in cinnamon and cayenne
Roasted FENNEL and cherry tomatoes, coated in smoked paprika!
Matt was on the road to Great Harvest Warrenton picking up bread for our race tomorrow, so I had dinner on the table when he returned. I nibbled on the roasted goodness to hold me over until he arrived.
POM seltzer for the cook!
This roasted lentil salad would make a great lunch, a picnic or potluck dish or as we did – a simple dinner on a rainy night. Serve at any temperature you like.
Roasted Lentil Salad
- For The Salad
- 1 butternut squash cubed
- 1 head fennel sliced, plus fronds, minced
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1.5 cups dry lentils
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Kosher salt + pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp garlic gold or olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400*. Spread butternut onto baking sheet and coat with cinnamon, cayenne and kosher salt. Drizzle with 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Toss together. Bake for 40 minutes, until squash is tender and caramelized.
- Place fennel and tomatoes on another baking sheet and toss with smoked paprika and other 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss together. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until tomatoes pop.
- Cook lentils per package instructions until tender.
- Combine cooked veggies and lentils in a big bowl. Add spinach. Top with walnuts and cherries.
- Combine dressing into a jar and shake together. Pour over salad. Mix well.
- Serve and enjoy!
After getting so much done today and an early dinner, I took the night to read my book on the couch – something I NEVER do! Our house is not that comfortable. Our couches are stiff and we don’t have a cozy family room. We are either 1) At our desks 2) On the porch 3) In the kitchen 4) In bed. Rarely do we sit on the couch like normal people! But tonight I did just that. Going to continue reading now up in bed!
[OMG…just realized it’s Friday. I didn’t even remember because we have to be in bed so early for this race tomorrow. Bread for breakfast!!]