I first had this granola when we visited Charlottesville and stayed at the South Street Inn. They were kind enough to give me the recipe. Their original recipe makes a ton, so I cut it down to 25%.
This granola is extremely crunchy thanks to buckwheat and sunflower seeds. Kind of like grapenuts!
Makes 1 stuffed quart sized mason jar worth – minus a 1/4 cup for the cook 🙂
Crunchy Buckwheat Granola
- 2 cups raw rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole raw almonds [OR any nuts you like]
- 3/4 cup raw buckwheat
- 3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup canola oil [OR coconut oil – which rocked!]
- 1/4 cup honey [OR a mixture of honey + maple syrup – highly recommended!]
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
MIX INS [Optional]
- 3/4 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup currants, raisins, cranberries or other dried fruit of choice
Combine all except coconut and dried fruit in a big metal bowl.
Bake at 300* for one hour in the large metal bowl (or a 9×9 metal baking pan). Stir every 30 minutes. Color should be golden brown. Remove from oven and stir in coconut and currants (these will toast a little from being with the other ingredients). Stir every half our or so while cooling – the granola will clump together and some will stick to the bottom. It’s ok.
Cool completely before putting into a container.