When we first met, Thomas used to make fun of me for always using the phrase “little tiny.”
A “little tiny” nap.
A “little tiny” sip.
A “little tiny” pinch of salt.
I think I get it from my mom
So when I was making this salad, which features a bunch of finely diced vegetables, I almost named it a “little tiny” salad. Not for its size but for its contents.
I had a lightbulb moment about vegetables recently. I often chop them big because it’s easier and requires less precision on the cutting board. But I actually prefer my vegetables to be finely diced! Sometimes biting into a giant piece of raw broccoli or a huge piece of cucumber can make me cringe a little, I think mostly related to the texture. But when finely diced, I love almost anything (ALMOST anything – finely diced onions are the worst!)
So the idea for this salad was to combine a bunch of little tiny vegetables into a superfood medley. Aka: vegetable confetti!
Yes, turning these whole veggies into tiny cubes did take me a lot longer, BUT how many times have you heard someone say that they find chopping vegetables sort of soothing? Turn on some music or a podcast, and it will be soothing. And the best news: the corn and navy beans are little tiny already 🙂
I steamed the sweet potatoes and broccoli in the microwave until both were tender, about 3-4 minutes for the taters and half that for the broccoli. Splash a little water on the bottom to help them steam. You could keep the broccoli raw too if you want!
Two finishing touches amp up the flavor: a few handfuls of freshly chopped herbs (I used parsley and mint from my garden) and a basic white wine vinegar dressing.
Enjoy this salad on its own or as a side dish. It will keep in your fridge for a few days, so it’s great for prep day! I had it with eggs on top and as a side to quiche for lunch.
Confetti Chopped Salad
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 broccoli crown
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 can navy beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 handful parsley + mint chopped
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon cane sugar or honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dice sweet potato and steam for 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Cut broccoli into little tiny florets and steam if desired for 1-2 minutes.
- Finely dice both peppers.
- Toss all veggies with beans and corn (both drained) in a bowl.
- Toss in herbs.
- Shake dressing ingredients in a jar and pour about half over salad. You will have extra!
- Finish with additional salt and pepper to taste.