I decided to make Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup tonight to use up some things we had on hand. It turned out great!! I nibbled on 2 Kashi crackers and some of the root vegetables while packing my lunch for tomorrow, which is going to be SO yummy!! I was pretty starving at 5:30 since I didn’t eat much today, but the nibbles helped tide me until the soup was ready. And we have two servings of this soup left for Tuesday’s lunch.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped (2 pounds, 4 oz worth)
- 3 carrots, chopped (9.5 oz worth)
- Leftover root vegetables (4.5 oz worth)
- 1 small box Pacific Brand Carrot Cashew Ginger Soup (These make the BEST soup bases!!)
- 1 cup of water
- Peeled and chopped ginger root, about an inch
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste
- About 1/3 cup fat free half and half (any kind without trans-fat)
Put all vegetables in pot over high heat. Let cook around to sear on the outside. Add liquids and seasonings. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until squash is tender. Puree with a stick blender (or transfer to blender and puree 75% of mixture). Divide between 2 bowls and 2 tupperwares for the leftovers! This made a very thick soup. You could add a little more water or broth to thin it out some.
~250 calories per serving.
I had Kashi crackers on the side:
Total dinner calories: ~335
Total Sunday calories: 1277. Whoa!
Didn’t get in a walk, but I could use a rest. We totally would have gone walking if the weather hadn’t been so rainy and gross. I’ll be back at it hard tomorrow morning at 5:30 a.m.!!
= net of 1277. Just over weight loss net goal. I’m really full from the soup, so I may just get in bed soon and hit the sack early. Mondays are easier if I get in bed at 8:30 or so 🙂