These healthy coconut chocolate truffles are a quick, healthy, and scrumptious portable snack. Mazen, Thomas, and I have been gobbling them up!
I started to name them protein balls, because they do have some protein powder in them, but the texture is more of a chocolate ganache than a protein bar, so I decided to call them truffles instead. The only sweetness comes from dates, which are the base of the recipes, so they can be your everyday real food truffles : ) And don’t they look oh so pretty rolled in chia and coconut?
Add pitted dates to your food processor and blend until a pea-like consistency is formed. It doesn’t take too long. Then toss in the nuts and keep blending.
Put the remaining ingredients into the date and nut mixture, and blend until a sticky ball is formed. Depending on the consistency and type of protein powder you have, you might need to use a little more or less milk. Don’t worry if you add a little too much milk, you can always add more dry ingredients (like oats) to absorb the liquid.
Once you’ve reached the desired consistency where it’s pliable but not too liquid-like, remove the mixture and form into one inch sized balls. You should get about 15 balls out of the recipe.
Pour a combination of chia seeds and coconut flakes onto a plate and roll them around until they’re fully coated. Store them in the fridge, and they should last up to a week. Warning: you will get chia seeds in your teeth when you eat these!
Chocolate Coconut Truffles
Yield 15 balls
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 serving (30 grams) of protein powder (I used SFH Vanilla)
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- ½ tsp coconut extract (optional but oh-so-good!)
- Extra chia and coconut for garnish
- Blend dates in a food processor until a pea-like consistency is created.
- Add nuts to the dates and blend until combo is finely ground.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and blend until a sticky ball is ball is formed.
- Remove mixture and roll into one-inch sized balls.
- Pour chia seeds and coconut flakes onto a plate, then roll truffles until fully coated. Add more seeds and flakes as needed.
- Place balls in a container, cover, and store in the fridge.