Afternoon = uneventful. Trip to Lowes and the grocery store. Soon enough it was dinnertime!
Karen brought over her Very Best Vegetable Lasagna. And this was the best of the best!
She usually makes it with zucchini, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, but tonight’s version was cremini mushrooms and smoked real sliced mozzarella. It was IN-credible!!!
Due to the mushrooms [she used 2 pints of mushrooms and 2 balls of fresh mozzarella], it was very watery, but we just lifted the pieces from the water and ate away. I love this recipe because it calls for cottage cheese, which I prefer over ricotta. And the fresh mozzarella makes a huge difference!
So good I had a plate of seconds!!
On the side we had sautéed broccoli in a curried chutney I received to sample.
And dessert was enjoyed to the tune to LeAnne Rimes: “How [would] I liiiiiiive without you?!”
There’s apparently a Ken Burns documentary on right now about Prohibition. We’re going to take a glimpse. Too bad we still have no couch – it’ll be two people in a one-person chair!
- 24 oz jar Bertolli’s Olive Oil and Garlic Sauce
- 1/2 pound smoked mozzarella
- 1/2 pound plain mozzarella
- 8 oz regular mushrooms
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 9 lasagna noodles
- Cut mozzarella into small cubes.
- Clean and cut mushrooms.
- Mix cottage cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Layer 1/3 of each: noodles, cottage cheese mixture, Bertolli’s sauce, mushrooms and mozzarella.
- Repeat two more times.
- Top with fresh basil.
- Wrap in foil and bake at 400 for one hour.