Deviled eggs are one of my all-time favorite picnic foods! Sadly, they are always one of the first dishes gone — I think other people love them too! I enjoyed some at a cookout a few weeks ago, and while I was eating the last bite, I thought “Bacon! Jalapeño!” simultaneously. And this combination was born.
This recipe can be made all at once or in steps. I hard-boiled the eggs in advance, fried up the bacon at breakfast (and reserved three slices), and then when it was time to assemble them, the recipe came together in no time.
So to start you’ll want to fry the bacon and boil the eggs. Remember to do a nice ice bath for the eggs so they will be easy to peel! I always use this technique to hard-boil.
Crumble your bacon and mince the jalapeño, removing the seeds. Cook the pepper with some garlic in olive oil to take the raw bite out of both.
I really like peeling egg shells — it’s a very soothing process (if you prepared your eggs correctly!).
Place all of the yolks in a bowl, and add the filling ingredients. I used a combination of Greek yogurt and mayo to get the best blend of healthy and texture. Plus mustard, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Always smoked paprika!
Next, stir in all but a garnish portion of the bacon and the cooked jalepeño and garlic.
Sarah taught me that piping the yolk mixture is easier than scooping it with a spoon. Since I don’t own a piping bag, I just used a ziplock with the tip cut off.
Finally, garnish with the remaining bacon and a dusting of more paprika!
These were such a hit at the girls night I took them to last week!
Jalapeño Bacon Deviled Eggs
- 5 eggs, hard boiled
- 3 small slices bacon, cooked
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (or regular if that’s all you have)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Prepare the eggs and bacon. For the eggs, fill a pot with cold water and place eggs inside. Bring just to a boil, cover, turn off heat and set timer for 13 minutes. Then shock in an ice bath.
- Crumble bacon.
- Add some olive oil to a skillet and cook jalapeño and garlic until fragrant and no longer raw.
- Remove yolks from the eggs and place in mixing bowl.
- Add yogurt, mustard, mayo, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Stir in all but a little bacon and the jalapeño-garlic mixture, reserving some bacon for garnish.
- Pipe or scoop yolk mixture into egg white halves.
- Garnish with bacon and a dusting of paprika.
- Store chilled in the fridge.